IE9 sees 2.35 million downloads in first 24 hours

By Emil
Mar 16, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Internet Explorer 9 was downloaded 2.35 million times in the first 24 hours since its release earlier this week. In other words, IE9 was downloaded over 27 times every second, or over 240 downloads every 9 seconds (Microsoft loves using the version number as a metric for random statistics).

Read the whole story
  2. krayzie

krayzie TS Rookie Posts: 62

Wow, that's a lot.
  3. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

Are the IE9 downloads from Windows Update included in these statistics? Because if they are, then it is indeed hardly impressive...
  4. krayzie

krayzie TS Rookie Posts: 62

I don't think there would have been 2.35million people doing updates... no one does them anyway
  5. lawfer

I asked if the Windows Updates downloads were INCLUDED, not if they composed the statistics...
  6. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 7,029   +615

I agree with lawfer, but I just tried Windows Update and it's not showing IE9 for me. I understand the roll-out is usually done in phases, so odds are only certain regions are getting the update for now, if any.
  7. pcnthuziast

pcnthuziast TS Rookie Posts: 313

Is it even available via update? It doesn't show up when I check.
  8. lawfer

Well, IE9 will definitely be available via Windows Update, there question is when and where... and if it has, then, where? I assume it will be rolled out progressively though. (I downloaded mine, so I wouldn't know.)

I just wanted to know if Microsoft based these figures off of downloads by Windows users around world who got the new browser through an update. If that was the case, I would go as far as to say that only 40% of those 2.35 million, were actual, manual downloads.
  9. IE9 isn't available on Windows Update yet. Think MS said on Twitter that it will be available on WU next Tuesday
  10. Great job Microsoft, IE9 is very nice. Do not listen to the haters and continue your efforts to release quality hardware/software proucts for everyone to enjoy.
  11. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Guru Posts: 516   +12

Thanks for posting Steve Ballmer. I happen to think it's a good release but an improvement on garbage. Chrome is still far superior in pretty much every aspect.

Check this link for benchmark results of the two (latest versions Chrome vs IE9):
  12. IE9 looks like a Mozilla killer to me.
  13. I think for the first 24 hours, 2.35 million is a big number. It's not available on Windows Update yet and even when it is, it'll be optional. I think the Firefox stat is a moot point because Mozilla specifically advertised and promoted the day as 'Download Day' and encouraged users to set a world record. I don't think Microsoft was trying that hard.
  14. Mizzou

Mizzou TS Enthusiast Posts: 823

I had to go to the Microsoft Downloads site to get IE9. Was already running the release candidate and the install went without a hitch. Did seem to take a while to do the download so am guessing the site was getting hammered pretty hard.
  15. Chrome is often refered to as spyware disguised as a browser. IE9 is fast and has impressive graphics rendering. I'll give FF4 a try when the final is due to be released March 22.
  16. Nima304

Nima304 TS Guru Posts: 365   +81

Hah, I know exactly one person who's downloaded IE9. Call me when Microsoft releases an open-source browser.
  17. I still think IE6 and safari are the best, imho.
  18. Microsoft has no need to release open source products. They let the open source community do the work and then incorporate some of their ideas. Look at IE9, it uses features first found in Chrome and FF.
  19. Netscape Navigator was the first browser I used. Still have a soft spot for it.
  20. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,292   +55

They're lying.
  21. OK, I confess. I downloaded it 2.35 million times.
  22. Hey, I give all of the credit in the world to Chrome. Its not my preferred browser, however I commend them for their great product. I just like the responsiveness and compatability of Internet Explorer vs. Chrome. But like I said, I take nothing away from Chrome. I see that they have a lot of commited followers now. The "Steve Ballmer" comment was funny though. Good one.
  23. supertech

supertech TS Member Posts: 84   +10

I am very impressed, it is actually fast.
  24. supertech

are u kidding me?

IE6 aka "Internet Explorer 6" ... Safari which will give you one of the most unpleasant browsing experiences
  25. supertech

that was supposed to say "internet exploder 6"