IE9 sees 2.35 million downloads in first 24 hours

Emil

Staff

Internet Explorer 9 was downloaded 2.35 million times in the first 24 hours since its release earlier this week. In other words, IE9 was downloaded over 27 times every second, or over 240 downloads every 9 seconds (Microsoft loves using the version number as a metric for random statistics).

The number is over double the 1 million downloads Microsoft saw for the IE9 Beta and four times that of the IE9 RC over the same time period. That's not too surprising: more people will download the final version than the unfinished versions.

The above video shows the launch of Microsoft's latest browser, along with various demos of what it can do. If you haven't seen it yet, it's worth a look.

2.35 million is a decent number for 24 hours, but it is hardly impressive. The current record holder is still Mozilla, which had over 8 million downloads of Firefox 3 in a 24-hour period on June 18, 2008. Did you contribute to Microsoft's number?

Permalink to story.

Are the IE9 downloads from Windows Update included in these statistics? Because if they are, then it is indeed hardly impressive...

krayzie said:
i dont think there would have been 2.35million people doing updates.. .no1 does them anyway

I asked if the Windows Updates downloads were INCLUDED, not if they composed the statistics...

I agree with lawfer, but I just tried Windows Update and it's not showing IE9 for me. I understand the roll-out is usually done in phases, so odds are only certain regions are getting the update for now, if any.

pcnthuziast said:
Is it even available via update? It doesn't show up when I check.

Well, IE9 will definitely be available via Windows Update, there question is when and where... and if it has, then, where? I assume it will be rolled out progressively though. (I downloaded mine, so I wouldn't know.)

I just wanted to know if Microsoft based these figures off of downloads by Windows users around world who got the new browser through an update. If that was the case, I would go as far as to say that only 40% of those 2.35 million, were actual, manual downloads.

IE9 isn't available on Windows Update yet. Think MS said on Twitter that it will be available on WU next Tuesday

Great job Microsoft, IE9 is very nice. Do not listen to the haters and continue your efforts to release quality hardware/software proucts for everyone to enjoy.

Guest said:
Great job Microsoft, IE9 is very nice. Do not listen to the haters and continue your efforts to release quality hardware/software proucts for everyone to enjoy.

Thanks for posting Steve Ballmer. I happen to think it's a good release but an improvement on garbage. Chrome is still far superior in pretty much every aspect.

Check this link for benchmark results of the two (latest versions Chrome vs IE9):
https://www.techspot.com/vb/post1017325-5.html

I think for the first 24 hours, 2.35 million is a big number. It's not available on Windows Update yet and even when it is, it'll be optional. I think the Firefox stat is a moot point because Mozilla specifically advertised and promoted the day as 'Download Day' and encouraged users to set a world record. I don't think Microsoft was trying that hard.

I had to go to the Microsoft Downloads site to get IE9. Was already running the release candidate and the install went without a hitch. Did seem to take a while to do the download so am guessing the site was getting hammered pretty hard.

Chrome is often refered to as spyware disguised as a browser. IE9 is fast and has impressive graphics rendering. I'll give FF4 a try when the final is due to be released March 22.

Hah, I know exactly one person who's downloaded IE9. Call me when Microsoft releases an open-source browser.

Microsoft has no need to release open source products. They let the open source community do the work and then incorporate some of their ideas. Look at IE9, it uses features first found in Chrome and FF.

Netscape Navigator was the first browser I used. Still have a soft spot for it.

Hey, I give all of the credit in the world to Chrome. Its not my preferred browser, however I commend them for their great product. I just like the responsiveness and compatability of Internet Explorer vs. Chrome. But like I said, I take nothing away from Chrome. I see that they have a lot of commited followers now. The "Steve Ballmer" comment was funny though. Good one.

are u kidding me?

IE6 aka "Internet Explorer 6" ... Safari which will give you one of the most unpleasant browsing experiences

Back