IE9 users get a free month of Hulu Plus, more

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Microsoft has teamed up with several online services to promote the arrival of Internet Explorer 9. Folks running the latest iteration of IE will be able to take advantage of deals from Hulu, Groupon, eBay, Slacker and Gilt Groupe. In addition to attracting new users, Microsoft says the partnerships will show other sites how they can customize their web experience to take advantage of IE9's new features.

Some of the deals are available immediately while others will go live over the coming months. All of them require Windows 7's new taskbar, so it seems Vista and XP users are out of luck. Starting March 28, IE9 users will receive a free month of Hulu Plus by pinning and accessing the promotion through the Jump List. Hulu Plus usually costs $7.99 a month and includes higher quality videos and more content.

You can earn $5 in Groupon Bucks by pinning Groupon to your taskbar and clicking on a deal. We don't see a specific date when this offer will be active, so we assume it's available now. Likewise, from March 28-30 (or while supplies last) you'll be awarded a free Xbox 360, Xbox 360 Kinect bundle or a Samsung Focus WP7 handset by pinning Gilt to your taskbar and making a purchase of $250 or higher.

Internet radio service Slacker has a deal "coming soon" that will give IE9 users a free month of premium radio (a $4.99 value, removes ads on top of other features). Two deals are planned for eBay. In April you'll be able to earn 8% extra eBay bucks when you make purchases by clicking through the Jump List, and in May you'll get a $5 discount on the first thing you buy when coming from the Jump List.

Permalink to story.

Man, they are trying hard on this one but as usual, Microsoft is fighting yesterday's war...

Rick said:
Man, they are trying hard on this one but as usual, Microsoft is fighting yesterday's war...

My thought's exactly. IE9 should have been IE7, or IE8. Now it's too late...

As usual, I have one question before even thinking of looking at IE9: Do you uninstall IE8 first, does it do that automatically?
My PC is full of Microsoft updates and security fixes and they never replace anything, tell you whether every new fix is cumulative and what can be uninstalled.
For example: I have Microsoft .NET Framework 1, Framework 2, Framework 3 SP2 and Framework 3.5 SP1. Are all those needed? Is ver. 3.5 SP1 self-supporting or does it need earlier ones.

Each net framework is seperate and different programs use different versions so they can and should all coexsist AFAIK.

Installed 9 so far its amazing. All my usual sites load really fast still have FireFox and Chrome and it smokes both of them, Chrome has actually performed the worst out of the lot. Still use Google but Bing is close behind glad to see the competition woke up the giant

@gunste24
You don't need to uninstall IE8. IE9 is an update and it will replace your current IE.

For .net framework you can uninstall all those versions and install Framework 4...

@pcnthuziast
what? are you serious? Retrocompability is always present in each framework... they are not "separated".

They are not promoting IE9- that is simply a byproduct. What they are actually promoting is Windows 7- all that great stuff uses Win7 technologies.

Yeah, leaving Vista out makes it clear that they are mainly promoting Windows 7...But really I don't care since 7 is a great product and is a worthwhile upgrade. I highly recommend it to any Windows user. Basically if you have 1GB of RAM and at least 40GB HDD, upgrade to 7. $100 for OEM Home Premium.

I installed IE9 and am wishing I hadn't. Crashes constantly, never had any problems at all with IE8.

I guess I'll update it... then I might use it once Firefox annoys me that much, which only happens like once every few months.

I played around a lot with the IE 9 Beta. I'm on 64 bit Windows 7 and it was REALLY fast. Faster than Chrome in my opinion. The down side was getting a version of Flash that worked well with Flash related applications. If you do a lot of Facebook games, I'd hold off a while. I ran into issues with almost everything I used on Facebook, so I uninstalled Flash and Chrome and reinstalled Chrome to get everything stable again. If you have installed IE9 and are having issues, try uninstalling Flash completely, reboot and install the latest version from the adobe site. If that doesn't help, you can go back to IE8, or another browser.

I had problems with crashes too, but i uninstalled flash player and reinstalled and now works fine.

Sorry to disagree, but running windows 7 without at least 2 gigs of ram is akin to running XP with 256 ram. You will also need 512 video, not share video or your graphics capability will be comprimised.

You do not need 512 video RAM unless you are playing games from the last year or 2. I have a 8800GTS 320 and it scores pretty high (if I remember I'll edit with the exact numbers later) on the Windows Experience Index for gaming and desktop graphics. And personally I've never seen the graphics choke at all on anything Windows 7 itself does (discounting trying to play Crysis or something).

THIS IS FANTASTIC...or you know, only viable for people in the USA, because it's not like the rest of the 6,468,229,191 people in the world would like to have this offer as well...sigh.

(pop taken from www.google.com/publicdata, world pop-usa pop.)

Sorry to disagree, but running windows 7 without at least 2 gigs of ram is akin to running XP with 256 ram. You will also need 512 video, not share video or your graphics capability will be comprimised.

I run Windows 7 Ultimate X64 on a laptop with 1GB DDR2 800 RAM. It also runs a rather crap Intel on-board solution with nowhere near 256MB of RAM.

Works fine as well. OK its not like my PC for performance, but general usage is absolutely acceptable considering the laptops purpose, and age.

Technology, (including on-board graphics and software like OS') have come a long, long way since the days of Windows XP. Unless your throwing something like Crysis at it, it'll be fine.

Back