Iexplore.exe hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickzipser

I'm experiencing a problem similar to ones I've seen posted in this forum.
Internet explorer pages suddenly stop loading. Nothing seems to happen after I cllick a link on a page. The computer seems to run much slower.
I am running Windows XP professional using IE6. IE7 doesn't run properly on this machine.

When I end the process iexplore.exe in task manager, things work okay for awhile then the problem starts all over again.
I usually have one iexplore.exe. Sometimes I find more.

I've run all the scans with the latest versions of the programs.
The logs are attached.
The rootkit scan found no rootkits.

Do you think this is why IE7 runs so poorly?

Thanx ahead of time for your help.

I probably wont be around much this weekend, but that is not an AVG anti-spyware log, that is a log showing the dates and times that you ran scans.

Is this better?

I didn't realize that my first AVG log was rejected due to invalid file type. This time it's a text file. Just in case, the scan found no infections.

Rick

That appears to be an AVG antivirus log, have you done an antispyware test from safe mode?

Im just going through the HJT log now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you please tell me exactly what antivirus, firewall etc programs that you have running on your computer now?

8 times is a charm?

I ran another AVG antispyware scan. Hopefully I got it right this time.
Sorry about the confusion. I also use Norton Internet Security 2008.

Rick

As well as AVG antivirus? I thought I saw both in your file, you really should have only one antivirus going at any one time, it really slows your computer down if you have more than one.

Go to control panel and add/remove progrmas and get rid of anything to do with WeatherBug

Then reboot.

Upon rebooting your system, if the Weatherbug program remains or you receive error messages about Weatherbug upon rebooting, then perform the following.

1. Click on START, then select RUN.
2. In the RUN box, type REGEDIT then click OK. This will open your Windows Registry Editor (following ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS, some of these keys will already be removed -- if you do not find a key, please move on to the next step).
3. Click on the plus sign next to the folder named HKEY_CURRENT_USER
4. Click on the plus sign next to the folder named Software
5. Click on the folder, "AWS," to highlight it
6. Press the DELETE key on your keyboard and choose "YES" to delete this folder
7. Click on the plus sign next to the folder named Microsoft
8. Click on the plus sign next to the folder named Windows
9. Click on the plus sign next to the folder named CurrentVersion
10. Click on the folder named Run to highlight it (only the "Run" folder)

In the right-hand pane, look for a line stating "Weather." If you see it, please click on it to highlight it then press the DELETE key on your keyboard and select "YES."

11. Close the Registry Editor

To delete the AWS directory

1. Open "MY COMPUTER" icon on your desktop.
2. Double-click the C drive.
3. Double-click “Program Files” folder to open.
4. Right click on the folder titled "AWS" and select DELETE.

Extra removal instructions for Windows XP

1. Open "MY COMPUTER" icon on your desktop.
2. Double-click the C drive.
3. Double-click on Document and Settings
4. Double-click the folder that has your name next to it (or the name of whomever the machine is registered to)
5. Double-click the “Application Data” folder to open it and delete the folder entitled “WeatherBug”.
7. Restart your computer and the uninstall is complete.

Close all windows including this one and open HJT, select do a system scan only and put a check next to the following items if still there, and select fix checked.
C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\Weather.exe
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {077B9754-2AF0-4914-BBC2-4B583190366A} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {58A83E4F-477A-4A3F-BF9B-B65BC2BD5598} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {F5881F8D-DD85-4663-B157-9A008A0AA045} - (no file)
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Weather] C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\Weather.exe 1
O23 - Service: stllssvr - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Windows Server Management Services (WSMSPSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\msngr.exe (file missing)

Reboot, do another HJT scan and post a log back here.

Thanx for your patience

Hi,

I did what you asked me to do. The new HjT log is attached. By the way. This is the second time I am trying to send this to you. Iexplore hung the first time. This means the problem, whatever it is, is still there. My sister tells me that she is getting the same problem as me.

Rick

Attachments

• hijackthis.txt
    15.3 KB · Views: 5
Did You forget about me?

Hey Guys,

I still have that problem where it seems iexplore hangs. I've submitted all the scan logs and took all the corrective actions you suggested. I still have the problem.
Can someone please help me some more. This problem is driving me nuts.

Rick

go to internet options then programs tab and click on manage addons and try disabling all the addons and see if that helps lots of time its a toolbar that causes the problems also might want to run sfc /scannow that will help to repair internet explorer as a file might be missing

You still have 2 AV programs running, AVG and Norton, please pick one and use it only, unistall the other.

Hosts File Corrupted

Download HostsXpert v4.1 and unzip it to your computer, somewhere where you can find it.
  • Double click on HostsXpert.exe to launch the program.
  • Click on Restore MS Hosts File to restore your Hosts file to its default condition.
  • Click on Make ReadOnly to secure it against further infection.
  • Exit the program.
Visit the Website for more information.

People love these 'helpers', but they can interact is strange was and GoogleToolBar
was previously fingered as a security risk.

If this was my system, I would abort (ie uninstall) the following

O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper
O2 - BHO: NCO 2.0 IE BHO
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO

O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll

This looks bad! A component of SmitFraud
O16 - DPF: {BB383206-6DA1-4E80-B62A-3DF950FCC697} (Create & Print ActiveX Plug-in) - http://ak.imgag.com/imgag/cp/install/AxCtp2.cab

The source(s) here look bogus too

O16 - DPF: {CBD8B1CB-2F5F-415F-93E8-A297B33DCBB2} (CentrinoCheck Control) - http://entriq.vo.llnwd.net/o1/NBCUniversal/cabs/cpucheck_1_0_0_5.cab
O16 - DPF: {CE7D2BF2-D173-4CE2-9DAF-15EA153B5B43} (MediaControl Class) - http://entriq.vo.llnwd.net/o1/NBCUniversal/cabs/Entriq_3_4_0_15_Silent.cab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back