TechSpot

Iexplore.exe is consuming huge memory

By dranjank
Jan 19, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My system was infected with Trojan last month and since then the performance of my system has become extremely bad particularly when the Internet Explorer starts (even a single windows). More I browse, more the ie instance consumes memory. Sometimes it consumes more than 200000K memory and thus the virtual memory needs to be increased.

It was the same with explorer.exe, but after removing the viruses (?), the explorer.exe has stopped consuming huge memory. Please guide me to rectify this problem.
  2. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +36

3. dranjank

dranjank TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks Bobbye.

I have followed the instructions and have attached the logs.

One more symptom I would like to share: Everytime windows starts up, a message pops up saying that no firewall is turned on. your computer might be at risk. I have checked that windows firewall is set to turn on automatically.
  4. Bobbye

Please re-open HiJackThis> click on System Scan Only and scan. Check the boxes next to all the entries listed below.
    NOTE If you have set the homepage to come up with blank page, leave the first entry for about:blank.

Now close all windows other than HiJackThis, then click Fix Checked. Close HiJackThis and Reboot.

Then do this:
    #9: SD FIX
    Quote:
    #9: ComboFix:
    Rescan with HijackThis when through and attach all logs and reports.
  5. dranjank

Followed your instructions and attached the logs.

Notes:

1. No files found as mentioned: clbdriver.sys, tdsserv.sys (or tdssxyz.sys where xyz.sys are random characters), and/or seneka.sys (any that are present)
    2. I have used TDServerControl for a long time. This is a language translator and is published by a well known Indian newspaper. However, I have deleted the file as instructed.
    3. No suspicious looking files like *.exe's/*.dll's are found which is modified in the past 24 hour. The list of exe/dll that are installed/updated after I found the Trojan in my system almost one month back are listed below:
    tzchange.exe, gdi32.dll, capicom.dll, dnssd.dll, dns-sd.exe, mshtml.dll, MRT.exe and deploytk.dll
    4. Could not find where to download the SAS software from. Please provide me the information.

Please let me know if I need to upload any other log file.
  6. Bobbye

Is the iexplore.exe high resource problem resolved now? We removed it in HijackThis. I'd like you to do an online scan with Kaspersky:

Open Kaspersky Online Scanner in Internet Explorer using this link:
    http://www.kaspersky.com/kos/eng/partner/d...kavwebscan.html
    If this scan is clean and if the original problem was resolved, we'll remove the cleaning tools and the old restore points.
  7. dranjank

Thanks for your help bobbeye.

However, I failed to run the Kaspersky online scanner as the Java applet is failed to load. So, the virus definitions could not be upgraded. Please help me regarding this.

The performance is much better now, But, the ie still needs some time to load. Is it something to do with the add-ons?

Thanks again!
  8. Bobbye

9. dranjank

I have scanned my computer with Kaspersky and the result came out clean.

Please direct me to remove the tools that I have installed and which tools I need to keep in my system.
  10. Bobbye

So this has been resolved:
    But you still consider the system slow. You don't say whether it's slow to startup, slow to shut down or slow to surf, so I will give you a generic answer:
    Start> Run> msconfig> enter> Selective Startup> Startup tab> UNCHECK everything except the McAfee antivirus and firewall if it is included> Apply> OK.

Reboot: NOTE: ignore the nag message and close after checking 'don't show message again.'

IF you don't use the preloaded Dell support, remove it.
    You did not reply to my question about having a blank homepage.

To remove the cleaning tools:

Clear your existing system restore points and establish a new clean restore point:
    Please let me know if I can be of further help.
  11. dranjank

I selected the about:blank as my internet explorer default homepage.

The system was slow in opening a new application. If I clicked on the ie icon, it used to take some time to load the application. This was true for all applications, when I opened them for the first time. After following your instractions, this problem is also removed.

Right now, I have the following software loaded in system apart from the McAfee.
    1. CCleaner
    2. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    3. SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition
    4. Ad-Aware
    5. Hijack This

Do I need keep all of them?

12. Bobbye

Blank homepage is fine- I just have to make sure you set it.

Remove any of those 5 programs you downloaded specifically for the cleaning. Any you had on before like possibly AdAware can stay.

Don't forget to drop the old restore points.

As for the Startup, you don't need to have anything else but the AV and firewall- and touchpad if on laptop. Programs and apps-and printers-can be started manually when needed.

Please let me know if I can be of any further help.
  13. dranjank

Thanks Bobbye. Your suggestions have helped me to fix the issue.
  14. Bobbye

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Please let us know if you need additional help in the future.
  15. dranjank

I think I need your help right away.

Not sure if I have messed up with something in the configuration. Earlier whenever I plugged in any USB drive, including a removable external disk drive, an autoplay option dialog box used to pop up with a promt to choose an action with all the options of playing different types of files . That is not happening any more.

Although it is not mandatory, this feature is very user friendly. There is no other problem with the drives. Need your help.
  16. dranjank

I have fixed the problem with Microsoft Aotoplay repair tool. Seems it was a registry problem after some key values are removed by CCleaner. Not sure though.
  17. Bobbye

Many people don't understand that they have some control over what CCleaner removes.

Enlarge each image here to see what the choices are:
    http://www.ccleaner.com/screenshots
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.