If I format my Sandisk Cruzer 16GB will I lose all of the information on it?

By ostoughton
Jul 13, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I am running windows 7 on a laptop at work. I would like to use my cruzer micro 16GB but when I put it in it wants me to format. I have information on it that I want kept. My question is will it be wiped out if I format? What can I do? I originally formatted it on a windows vista laptop a couple of years ago.
  2. lopdog

lopdog TechSpot Maniac Posts: 378

It sounds like something is wrong with your USB drive. To answer your first question: YES, if you format your drive everything will be wiped out.
    I found a similar post, http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic161141.html, it's about an external usb hard drive, but I guess the answer applies to your problem too.
  3. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,273   +258

It wouldn't happen to be an encrypted drive, would it? Sometimes those show up as drives needing formatting unless loaded in the decrypting tool.
  4. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TechSpot Booster Posts: 886   +39

5. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,358   +167

Have you also tried plugging it into a different computer to see if same problem?

If same problem on different machines, is also possible the filesystem is corrupt. (can happen if you ever remove a flash drive without using the Safely Remove Hardware icon to first stop the drive)

Try the EASUS recovery tool (never used it. In fact just noticed it! but i like all the other EASUS tools. they make great stuff :) ). see if it might recover the partition/files

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.