If I have two gig memory should I still move swap files from c to another partition

By chucky001
Feb 20, 2005
  1. I have a 250 gig hardrive and I have 10 gig c drive and three partions inside of an extended partition , I plan to move my swap files / paging file out of the c drive and into the 25 gig f partition , but I am wondering if its necessary to do this if I have two gig of memory , and if I have my swap files on the back end of my hardrive won't that slow things down and have the opposite effect of what I want , which is a fast computer ?
    Thanks to all in advance
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

You will not notice the slowness of your swapfile unless you ae one of those people who sit next to the computer with a millisecond stopwatch and think that losing .01% in a benchmark is a disaster.
  3. chucky001

chucky001 TS Rookie Topic Starter

if I have two gig memory

Thank You very much for your help Nodsu
  4. chucky001

chucky001 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank You Nodsu , for your help with my question
  5. Blakhart

Blakhart TS Rookie Posts: 353

If you place a swapfile on each physical drive, you might find the box more responsive. Don't put swap on different partitions of the same disk, only on separate disks.

ABAMOTO TS Rookie Posts: 27

How do you move swap file / paging file from one location to another? @_@ sorry newbie question.
  7. Blakhart

In xp, right click on the my computer icon, then head to advanced/performance/advanced. At the bottom of advanced, notice virtual memory, select the change button, then select the drive(s) you want to place a swap on. Then set the swap to system managed or custom. If custom, make it say 1/2 the amount of total ram in your system. That is, if you have 3 drives. The total swap should be 1.5 to 2 times the ram in the system. Make sure you hit "set" after each drive is set up with a swap. No changes will take place unless you hit set after each choice. I usualy do this just after formating the drive the swap is to be installed on. I also use custom size, the min and max being the same. As an example: min=768, max=768. If you always have more than enough swap set staticly, you won't have any probs.
  8. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Why multiple partitions? It won't speed it up. It's not like RAID0. Pagefiles are used one by one.
  9. Blakhart

Don't use pagefiles on multiple partitions on the same drive, just separate physical drives, one swap per physical drive.
    Having swap on each physical drive in a system gives you more swap bandwidth, and swap reads and writes can occur simultaneously, IF you have swaps on different ide channels, or different scsi drives/channels. Scsi can read and write at the same time on the same channel.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.