If networking is successfully set up, what happens next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IF I'm successful in setting up a home network (2 computers), what exactly happens next. Found a lot of info on HOW to set up networking but nothing about how to accomplish things once it's set up.

Specifically, once I'm properly set up for file sharing / internet access for my laptop (client) thru my desktop (host), what's on my laptop when I turn it on? I've already got Opera Browser on both computers, but how do I access Opera & all the capabilities of the host computer instead of the client computer? (both run Windows XP).

Also, how do I do things such as accessing files in "My Documents" on the host instead of (or in addition to) files in "My Documents" on the client computer?
Will the Client computer have new Icons added that take me directly to programs/files of the host computer?

Anyone know of a website covering the How To's of this part of networking?

Don't you have any friends with computers that can walk you through this part of the procedure... It would simplify your life.

i dunno how you do it exactly because i couldn't get it set up but i think you have to right click the files go to properties and click share this folder or something, i dunno i couldn't get it figured out but i dont think i created a network o:

Unfortunately only one person I know owns a computer & even though he's a computer genius, he lives 90 miles away & if I tried to have him walk me thru it by phone I'd never understand a word he said.
I, too, did the right click on properties & share thing (on my Opera browser), but when I tried to access it that way from my "client" computer, all I got was folders & subfolders for the browser & nothing to click on to actually open & run Opera.

a browser such as opera is not "shared". Each computer will run it's own. What is shared typically is files, printers and an internet connection (in some rare cases when you only have dial-up service). If the latter is the case then just google it for more info. What you are looking for is "Internet Connection Sharing". If it is files you want to share than that is a little more involved

In a "nutshell"
create a network connection between the PC's (either to each other with a crossover cable) or through some kind of switch/hub, or through a wireless router.
turn file and printer sharing on on the host PC
create a network share of the drive/folder you want to share from the host to the other PC
you may need to change firewall settings
map a network drive from the slave to the host

What is it exactly that you want to do. I'm still confused. When you say share "Opera" you mean the internet?

Appreciate all who took the time to reply. But at this stage I'm in a stalemate because since I originally posted, my brand new netbook, which I was trying to network with my desktop, decided, after only 5 days, to die. Sent it back & am awaiting its return.

For one day I did get a network set up using a crossover cable & that's when I got confused on how to access files (thru my netbook) that were on my desktop. But since I've sent the netbook back, I did find something on my desktop called a Briefcase, in which I "think" I can add the files I want to access on my netbook. And if that's the case, that's where I'll put the PDF files I need to access on my netbook. But won't know until the netbook is shipped back.

Also, gguerra asked exactly what I meant by sharing "Opera" Browser which I had already downloaded to the netbook. What I actually wanted to do is access Orb thru Opera on my desktop, which has a TV tuner card installed, so I can watch TV on my netbook, which doesn't have a TV tuner card. And I actually for one day got to do that, but won't know till the netbook returns if I can get it to do that again.

Also, I'm now looking into purchasing a Wireless Network Router & use that instead of having to run a long crossover cable. So it looks like I still have a lot to learn. But hopefully I'll eventually figure it out & not have to post any more questions.

I would goto to Orb website to troubleshoot how to configure, run and connect to the host running Orb. I had a quick look at their website and think you may benefit from searching their knowledge base "http://support.orb.com/kb/".

Common problems with running windows and file sharing relate to the windows firewall blocking network traffic. This may be what is happening here? Try disabling the windows firewall on both windows machines, if it is enabled.

Some basic information on networking:

Networks for the home are generally constructed using a cross-over cable between 2 computers, or more commonly using a switch/router. The router is often also your modem used to connect to the Internet. Eg I have a Modem that also has a 4 port switch. Networks using a switch require the computers to be connected using a straight cat cable (NOT a cross-over cable), the difference between them is that a cross-over cable has the wires going to different pins in the RJ45 connector at each end of the cable. A straight cat cable has the same color wires going to the same pins at each end of the cable.

Network enabled applications (ie applications that share with other computers) use what is called an ip address and port number to uniquely identify a "service" running on a computer. The ip address is a network identifier for the computer, the port number identifies the service. Orb is providing a service on your host computer, which is made available to other client computers attached to your network. A firewall is used to filter and sometimes block access from/to a particular service or computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back