I'm having a strange RAM problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

childofthetao

Hi,

I'm using windows vista and have recently purchased a corsair 2gb ram stick (to add to my current 2gb) bringing it up to 4gb.

However, I get different reports on the amount of RAM installed depending on what I use to check.

If I right click My Computer and choose properties, the summary shows that I have 4gb of RAM installed.

If I go to the performance tab of task manager it says I have a total of 3070mb of physical memory installed.

If I run the setup for Stalker (it shows a hardware summary before installing) it says I only have 2gb installed.

What's the deal?

Any help appreciated.
Thank you

Only a 64 bit operating system will utilize a full four gigs of RAM. If your Vista is the 32-bit OS then it won't utilize anymore than 3 gigs.

Only a 64 bit operating system will utilize a full four gigs of RAM. If your Vista is the 32-bit OS then it won't utilize anymore than 3 gigs.

Thanks, never knew that.

But if I upgrade to 64-bit OS, would my 32-bit Stalker use 4gigs? I presume that 32bit apps wouldn't use all the ram despite being run in a 64-bit OS.

Thanks

I assume Stalker is the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? The game will only use what it needs. If you decide to up grade to 64 OS be prepared to deal with finding the right drivers for many items for both hardware and software.

Are you having issues with the game?

I've got AMD Athlon 64 dual core 4600, i originally had 2gig, bought another 2gig because I thought it would give me better framerates (I'm a gamer). I'm not sure what the mobo is, it's nvidia though, I know that much.

My vid card is nvidia 9800 gtx+.

I can almost play UT3 on max settings, I was hoping that extra 2gig would solve that.

Today's games lean heavily on your GPU (video) capabilities though RAM and CpU and also important.

I looked at your card specs and it is a good one. Are you having stutterring, significant slowdowns?

What framerates are you getting now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back