I'm so upset I could scream

Zen

Well as the title of this area say "I'm so upset I could scream", yup, I could but I wont scream, I might wake up the neighborhood!

What am I so upset you may ask? Well tonight I thought it would be a good idea to sit in my easy chair in the living room and watch a movie on DVD. So I walk into my computer room, grab a DVD off the rack and proceed into the living room. Where I start going about getting my home theater set up ready. I fired up the home theater system, open the drawer and popped the DVD in, set the sound for 5.1 Dolby Prologic II, grabbed the television remote and turned on the unit, after a couple second my TV comes on and I notice something, a gosh darn red line running on the right hand side of the screen.

I thought this was a fluke and turned off the TV and turned it back on again, the darn line was still there, bright red, maybe only a centimeter in width and approx. 6.5 to 7.0 inches tall. I grabbed the remote and accessed the TV's menu, where I proceeded to go about changing setting, tweaking this and tweaking with that, I even went to far to access the "advanced" functions and did a complete factory reset of the TV, no luck the darn red line is still there. I tried playing the DVD, it plays on 99.9% of the screen, but won't work where the red line is, it just stays red and doesn't allow any colors to shine through it.

The type of television I'm playing with was purchased little over 2 years back from Walmart. It is a Vizio 42 inch LCD television, 2 HDMI ports, component ports, the works. It's model number is VW42L. I dug up the sales slip for the TV and noticed that I did indeed purchase their one year extended protection plan, on top of the 1 year factory warranty, which both warranty's I noticed are expired by 3 months.

This sucker cost me about $1000 when I purchased it, the two sales people on the floor kept giving me rave reviews about the unit, how sturdy it was, how the name Vizio means quality, Mr. Zen this TV will last you like 5-6 years.........I am pist off!

I don;t know what to do, I have a $1000 television that has a red line through it, I can't live with that, it will bug me to much to try and sit there and watch something, that red line will draw my attention every time. I can't afford to buy a new set right now. My young child is going to be so disappointed to hear that our Vizio is on it's way out!

Did a little digging about Vizio on-line and I didn't like what I saw! Walmart told me it was quality, yeah right, not with what I read!

The learning lesson here, don't skimp and buy a cheaper house brand or Walmart main stay television, go for the more expensive and maybe just go totally name brand!

I tried calling Vizio's (1-800) number, got an agent, gave the agent the information, he told me that I could mail the television back to them for an after warranty repair in the tune of around $500 to $700, no way! The Vizio agent must have been reading from a q-card or something. He had the nerve to finish our phone call, before hanging up by saying "thank you Mr. Zen for choosing Vizio for your home entertainment needs, have a nice day"!

:mad:

So sorry to hear of your experience - - that would tweek me too.
We just bought a Samsung 42C6800 and paid full retail, albeit, expensive.

The reviews were just great, and the C6800 series is hard to find. Thus far it
has been a delight.

We saw comments re Walmart, Target, CostCo 'bargin units' and elected to
avoid those 'good deals' for (hopefully) better quality.

In my experience, when buying high-tech, you get what you pay for.

btw: the sole complaint I have is that Samsung units require Their Own Wifi adapter,
as the configuration for access is IN the blood adaptor, not the remote or TV itself.
Of course that's not self-evident until you open the manual. Sure glad I don't need WiFi.

ps: Go online and write YOUR review!! it matters greatly to others.

Man, that's unfortunate. I don't know a whole lot about TVs or LCD technology, but I've read some reviews for Vizio units in the past. I received the general impression that it's a decent budget brand. Any electronic component can (and eventually will) fail. I tend to favor hardware that comes with a three-year warranty or better, but that can be tough to find on TVs without paying extra, at which point you have the difficult task of weighing risk versus reward.

Anyhow, welcome to TS. Better luck with your next TV :).

Sorry about your troubles, that really sucks. IMO buy samsung or top notch sony or go home in my experience.

First off I would like to say "thank you one and all" who responded to this post! You all might think I'm silly or something, but when I typed this post out my hand were shaking, almost a "fists of fury" thing!

I'm calmed down now, today like Jobeard said, I went to Walmart's web site and logged into my account and went to their Vizio TV section and found my unit and posted a review of it. The review wasn't 100% mean or nasty, I did include that while the TV was working it was a delight to watch. But I had to also report about Walmart electronics department sales people, be on the look out when they mention "Vizio & quality" in the same breath.

It appears that it might have just been perfect timing for my TV to start going out. I reported my situation to some of my family, my sister being one person and she reported to me that they just purchased one of those fancy L.G. LED TV's from Best Buy and they stuck their old plasma TV in the garage and were planning on selling it to who ever wanted to buy it. Of course my sister told me the is "no way in heck" that she is going to charge me, she told me that if could arrange for it's transport to my house, it's mine! I told her in the next couple of weeks I will make the 200 mile drive to her house, visit and load up the plasma unit and drive it back to my place.

The TV I'm getting from my sister is a Panasonic TH - 50PZ85U - 50" plasma TV - 1080p - Full HD! They bought it 4 years ago from a video store in San Francisco for slightly over $3000, she tells me the picture quality is still top notch. She brought an LED TV (1) it's cheaper on the electric bill to watch vs. a plasma. (2) LED is the wave of the future, she wanted to jump on the wagon. (3) She said she was tired of the plasma TV heating up her living room, she said during winter months there is no need to fire up my heater, just turn the plasma on for a couple hours, I'll be cooking in an over then.

Before I go, I wanted to stop and thank Matthew "The Community Manager", thank you for welcoming me aboard TechSpot.

First off I would like to say "thank you one and all" who responded to this post! You all might think I'm silly or something, but when I typed this post out my hand were shaking, almost a "fists of fury" thing!

Ow boy... It's a good thing your keyboard didn't get destroyed! :)

Do you have the problem only when playing the DVD ?

A call on 800 number won't even make them blink.

If you really want to give them a piece of your mind, here are some links

http://www.vizio.com/index.php/contacts

Corporate Headquarters VIZIO, Inc.
39 Tesla, Irvine, CA 92618
Phone: 949-428-2525
Toll-Free: 888 VIZIO CE / 888-849-4623

Press Relations
Jim Noyd
Noyd Communications Inc.
Phone: 310-374-8100
E-Mail: jim.noyd@noydcom.com

Lifestyle and Entertainment Press Inquiries
Charley Fitzwilliam
Leader Enterprises, Inc.
Phone: 562-546-6007
E-Mail: cfitzwilliam@leaderenterprises.com

Other Networks
Twitter: twitter.com/@VIZIOtv
Twitter: twitter.com/@VIZIOsupport
Facebook: facebook.com/VIZIO

Do you have the problem only when playing the DVD?

Nope, the problem isn't strictly limited to the DVD player or the DVD disks themselves. The problem is system wide, normal Comcast channels on TV, the DVD player, the HDMI hook up where I can play a video through my lap top, it's everywhere. So the problem is strictly with the television itself, it's going out and soon will be like Annikin Skywalker.............it will go bad!

And holy smoke talk about giving me a wealth of contact information! Even though I'm getting a pretty good replacement from my sister, that will work for as long as the television is good. I'm still miffed about my Vizio. I am going to utilize the list you gave to me, for I'm on the same page of sheet music as you, a simple phone call and posting a review on Walmart's web site just wont due!

I'm not expecting anything out of this, other than someone in the "big wigs" offices at least issuing me up an apology!

What an aggravating experience. I feel your pain.

I don't which would aggravate me more: the TV failing just out of warranty(s) or an agent suggesting i could just "mail-in" a $1000 42" TV and for a $500-$700 fee!. :mad:

Hope the next TV fairs much better.

Oh. and btw on a cheerier note... Welcome to TechSpot :)

Back