TechSpot

IMAX's Private Home Theater brings the big screen to you

By Shawn Knight
May 2, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. If you’ve got a cool million or two lying around and you want the ultimate in home theater entertainment, look no further than IMAX. The company recently announced plans to offer a select few the opportunity to bring the IMAX...

Read more

2. Is there any info on whether this set-up provides the buyer with access to a full media library or is that something they have to build on their own? I would think that the IMAX experience would be hard to emulate from a BR disc and would require the theatrical film versions to be truly worthwhile. Some more notes on what this actually entails would have been nice. I mean the hardware is fun to talk about and all but without the proper media it is kind of pointless, like having a Ferrari or Lamborghini with no gas.

3. Additional info to add to my previous post:

"Those lucky customers will get an IMAX-designed theater with “proprietary, state-of-the-art dual 4K projection system” in 2D and 3D, a “custom, patented surround-sound system. These private IMAX screens don’t look quite as jumbo as the ones seen in theaters, but they will have the same floor-to-ceiling, wall-to-wall, curved design to help provide “the most immersive movie experience in the world.” And should any of these elements run into trouble, IMAX will also offer 24/7/365 maintenance and support services with a 5-minute response time."

Source: slashfilm article, imax-introduces-home-theater-systems

4. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 428   +44

WANT!

5. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,074   +1,346

Jad Chaar and Littleczr like this.
  6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,820

I do agree with you, but a do it yourself doesn't come with a service plan either. lol

I'm wondering what kind of services and how many are available.

7. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

This is pretty cool, but as VitalyT said, it is not work 2 million bucks.

8. DKRON

DKRON TS Guru Posts: 567   +25

I emailed them :)

9. VitalyT

Careful quoting me, or IMAX may read it and decide, well, Ok, we will install this thing for him with a good 10% discount then! :)

Jad Chaar likes this.
  10. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

[​IMG]

VitalyT likes this.
  11. cliffordcooley

If what you say is true, they would need to give a 95% discount for a 100K price tag.

12. VitalyT

If they game me a 99% discount, I still wouldn't buy it. I don't have 20K for a home cinema :)

Jad Chaar and cliffordcooley like this.
  13. cliffordcooley

I might have 2K to throw at it. What are the odds they would give a 99.9% discount? :D

Jad Chaar and VitalyT like this.
  14. VitalyT

I would petition for an official inquiry to find out ;)

The most I ever spent on this kind of stuff was to buy DELL U3014 couple weeks ago. Great product, but it still hurts my wallet that's now empty.

15. VitalyT

IMAX is hiring qualified private contractors on the following positions:

- Popcorn sales person;
    - Glasses dispenser person;
    - Cinema cleaner;

cliffordcooley likes this.
  16. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Evangelist Posts: 985   +86

I worked on a few home theatres about
    I never understand why people think a white sheet is all you need for a screen. A proper projector screen makes a huge difference between a picture and a picture worth watching.

Jad Chaar likes this.
  17. VitalyT

Nobody really said that here ;) However, based on prices one pays for projector screens today...

It is all of course individual. If you want a screen from Draper and pay the top dollar for it, you can do it, but buying a screen from Draper is the same as buying this cinema from IMAX, prices would be just as reasonable.

I think the following is a very cheap example: http://www.amazon.com/Draper-StageS...qid=1367549828&sr=8-12&keywords=draper+screen

Once you go for a bigger size, Draper thinks it is ok to multiply the price 10-100 times, same mindset as IMAX, I guess.

18. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Evangelist Posts: 985   +86

Very true, personally If I had that kind of cash I'd get a highend a/v shop to build on for me for a lot less (I actually used to work for one years ago). As for the screen, I actually always liked the look/performance of the Stewart screens to the Drapers.

VitalyT likes this.
  19. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Addict Posts: 609   +109

I refuse to spend money on the "IMAX" versions of movies that weren't shot on IMAX cameras. And very few films actually use them. I can only think of one coming out this year that was actually shot on IMAX

20. VitalyT

TS-56336 likes this.
  21. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 497   +38

Sure you can get a cheap 4K projector but it doesnt come close to a true imax projector which for 2mil they should be providing (or else its hardly imax). I bet a pair of them (for 3D) could set you back 1 mil?

22. TS-56336

23. cliffordcooley

Would that really be a prerequisite, to getting a good IMAX experience with this home theater?

24. TS-56336

I guess not. But what the hell, I just love these films. :cool:

25. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,235   +1,881

I'll take two thank you very much.