Impending HDD Faliure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spleenharvester

Hi,
I bought a 30gb refurb which I have been using since November 24th-ish. It has since got louder and hotter. There is also a peripheral problem, as I have had two perfectly work mice-one is a wired PS/2 optical and the other is a USB wireless optical, and they both randomly stop responding and I have to restart the computer. I uninstalled a few things from the Add or Remove programs tool, which crashed shortly afterwards. Last night it crashed and the mouse+keyboard stopped responding even though the USB reciever was recieving when I did things. and I had to restart again, and it has since been slow and stuttery. I read a few of these are signs of faliure. Can anyone tell me whether or not I'm about to have a faliure on my hands? I could really do with getting a new one if it is about to fail... thanks

Thanks. There is also the Splinter Cell 4 Demo on my PC I can't uninstall-It just says 'searching for setup.exe' but I know the folder has not been messed with.

Run one of the drive diagnostic tools. They aren't 100% accurate, but they are pretty good. Also check your event viewer for any explanations for the hangs.

I used HDDlife and it said my drive is 81% healthy, the only thing letting it down is an 81% healthy spin up time (I don't remember seeing this last time I checked...) and an 86% healthy seek time performance. It also sometimes comes up with a 'drive overheating' warning.

P.S I tried to edit my previous post to add this but the 'edit' button did not work.

I tried that, but I don't understand the Hitiachi DFT was too complicated for me and I don't know which model my HDD is. Apparently it's a 'WL 30GB SATA 150' but google revealed nothing. Maxtor Powermax appears to not link to the same thing. The only other tool I was able to find was HDDlife.

EDIT:The 'Seek Time Performance' Rating has just lowered to 84%...

A rather late update: It now takes ages to boot up. (I'm on AMI bios) The blinking line screen where it finds the files stays there (stays for about 2 minutes) and looks for a boot CD then will suddenly boot up. Is this HDD related? Thanks.

Sounds HDD related to me.

Replace that drive ASAP. I recommend Ebuyer, they're pretty good on prices and have a good selection of HDD's, but te delivery is expensive at the mo and it will probably be quicker for you to go to a shop and get a drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back