In need of a solution for new 5.1 System

By Rodex
Sep 4, 2005
  1. So to top of my new Alienware laptop i decided to buy logitech 5.1 surround sound speakers. The package came with 5 speakers and a subwoofer, it all looks very nice but i can only plug the cables into my headphone jack. There are three cables, 1 for the front speakers, 1 for the back ones, and 1 for the center speaker, with one port i have to choose one and not use all of them, so i only have two speakers!

    Does anyone know what kind of adapter i need to make one port into three? Can i buy them at best buy or radioshack? Thanks very much.
  2. vnf4ultra

    vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,388

    You need a sound card.

    You could get a usb sound card like these.

    Or get a pcmcia card like this.

    The pcmcia card takes less space, so it may be better for a laptop(if you're going to move it and want surround sound at places other than it's home). This costs more though.

    Local stores may have something that will work, but don't expect a wide selection.

    Edit: I can't find anything at radioshack, although I'm sure they could order it for you.

    Best buy has two options I could find, one usb external, and one pcmcia. $50 and $100 respectively.
  3. Rodex

    Rodex TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 29

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Create an account or login to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.