In Nvidia CP what does "enhance AA" do?

childofthetao

I understand what AA override is, that's simple enough but the short description given in the CP is just not enough, what does this do? Does it give better performance or something?

I haven't had a Nvidia card for a while so can't be sure but I'm guessing it will use a more efficient sampling method for the anti-aliasing.

Apparently after a little searching it used CSAA instead of MSAA.
“Enhance” mode: All application-created MSAA surfaces are converted to CSAA surfaces using the control panel-specified CSAA mode.

CSAA - http://developer.nvidia.com/csaa-coverage-sampling-antialiasing
In summary, CSAA produces antialiased images that rival the quality of 8x or 16x MSAA, while introducing only a minimal performance hit over standard (typically 4x) MSAA. It works by introducing the concept of a new sample type: a sample that represents coverage. This differs from previous AA techniques where coverage was always inherently tied to another sample type. In supersampling for example, each sample represents shaded color, stored color/z/stencil, and coverage, which essentially amounts to rendering to an oversized buffer and downfiltering. MSAA reduces the shader overhead of this operation by decoupling shaded samples from stored color and coverage; this allows applications using antialiasing to operate with fewer shaded samples while maintaining the same quality color/z/stencil and coverage sampling. CSAA further optimizes this process by decoupling coverage from color/z/stencil, thus reducing bandwidth and storage costs.

Basically it should give much the same AA as the games own MSAA method but with less of a performance hit. Download FRAPS or use the games own methods for monitoring frames per second to see the difference in performance over these two methods.

Back