TechSpot

In the market for a new card

By AKirru
Jul 8, 2006
  1. Since the demise of my x850pro, I need a new card on a budget.

I'm looking at either getting another x850pro or a 6800Gt. Are they about the same in terms of performance?

Andy

2. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

Do you have PCI*E or AGP?
    If you have AGP, a X850XT would be better, and if you have PCI-E, a X1800 or a 7800 would be better, but I'm afraid they're a little expensive.
    How much can you afford?

3. korrupt

korrupt TS Rookie Posts: 716

I like the 6800GT, I'm sure it will treat you well.

Regards,

Korrupt

4. hynesy

hynesy TS Maniac Posts: 389

i have an NX6600 GT powered by nvidia, works beautifully, when u hook it up my tv, its like watching a movie through a dvd player. the 6000's gt are great

5. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

The X850XT is good but for a better price, get an X800GTO2 and unlock the extra pipelines. It's basically a locked X850XT and it will be cheaper too. It just needs a BIOS flash to unlock the pipelines. NVIDIA's 6800GS would be a great choice too if u want SM3.0. It will make a difference in running newer games like Oblivion.

6. AKirru

AKirru TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 41

I can get a 6800GT or a x850 pro cheaply.

Which is the better card?

Andy

7. paranoid guy

paranoid guy TS Rookie Posts: 420

Hello again. I see you've given on your old graphics card. I hope a new one will solve your problems. I have a 6800gt here and it's great, really made a difference for me. Unfortunately I can't find a chart comparing the two, but out of pure bias and good experience I'd go with the 6800gt.

8. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

Check it out. This says it all
    http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=1625&page=6
    The X850PRO can be overclocked easily and this would give it a good edge over the 6800GT, though 6800GT is a bit more future proof(having SM3.0). But X850PRO has a much faster core clock and memory speed than the 6800GT. It's upto u in the end,

9. AKirru

I went for the x850 pro :)

10. AKirru

It wasn't so much giving up on my old card, more in accepting there was nothing I could do for my card :(

Andy

11. paranoid guy

paranoid guy TS Rookie Posts: 420

Yup, sometimes the stuff is just... broken. Good luck with the new card anyway. :)

12. AKirru

thanks for replying to my original thread man :)

Andy

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.