[Inactive] Pop3 Sending Virus Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

kozman

HI Gang,
Last week I had my Outlook sending out to all my contacts emails with goofy subject headers. My McAfee did not stop anything nor detect anything on doing a full scan. Last few days I did a backup to DVD's using Vista's file backup. Wow took two days and 13 dvds. Before I started the backup I had the internet line unplugged from the computer. I am running Windows Vista Ultimate.
Today I people are telling me they are getting the same crap emails. Must be sending from my pop3 account. Is this possible? My computer is not connected to the internet and the online sbcglobal account is sending from online?
Peace,
kozman

It is also possible that someone who had you in their Address Book has malware that is doing the mass mailing from their system, not yours. In fact, that is the most likely scenario if you're offline.

Usually this wears out within a few days. If it does not, you might want to change the email account.

If you would like the full system checked for malware, please follow the steps HERE.

McAfee isn't perfect- nothing is! Sometimes if takes more than one program to find malware. You should attach the 3 logs from the programs you run to your next reply and we'll review them for malware.

Hi Bobbye,
I did a clean install before I read your responce. I did change my password for my email accounts. Will this be good enough or start a new email account like you mentioned
Peace,
kozman

If the mail is being sent from someone else's computer who has your email address in their computer, changing the password on your computer isn't going to change that. Why don't you give it a few days and if it hasn't stopped, then kill that email account and set another one up.

That way, if mail continues to be sent in your name from an infected computer, it will be returned for invalid email address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back