Inconsistent performance with different games

Hocknose

Ok I’ll firstly start off by giving you my specs:

Core 2 Quad 2.33ghz
ATI 1GB HD 5770
4GB DDR2
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

I know it’s not a great system but it’s fairly decent.

The issue I’m having is that some games will play smoothly on the highest settings whereas others struggle set just on medium. I normally play with the resolution set as 1360 x 768 (might not be exact but it’s fairly close to that)

Games that will play fine on highest settings:
Dawn of War 2
Starcraft 2
Left for Dead 2

Games that struggle on medium settings:
Dragon Age Origins and Awakenings
The Witcher Enhanced Edition
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas

As you can see there is a mixture there of both very new and a couple of year old games

I’m finding it very confusing especially with the fallout games as the engine is a couple of years old and my rig should be able to handle it.
With all the games that struggle it seems to be a FPS issue as I’ve had system monitoring software running at the same time as the games and the CPU or memory never max out yet the game is struggling.

Is anyone able to give me advice as to what things I could be looking for as to why this is happening? I’m not expecting to play those games at the highest settings but I’d be happy with medium as long as I didn’t get the slowdown.

Many Thanks

You might run those games extremely smoothly on at least medium settings if you sacrifice shadow quality, ambient occlusion, anti-aliasing, or some other fancy graphic feature. Play with the specific video options and see how it turns out. ;)

Otherwise, you could clean up your system easily with a program like CCleaner or easily shutdown useless Windows processes with Game Booster.

Hi PYGMUS thanks for your reccomendations...here is a little more info...

The PC is a new build, all it has on it is the OS, anti-virus, steam and about 5 games...purely a gaming PC so I don't think there could be any useless processes but I will try Game Booster.

I tried using the 3dmark06 and 3dmark vantage last night but my monitor doesn't support the resolution it needs to do the tests...rubbish!!

update on the Fallout games...

been looking on the forums and they are both very buggy. Have found a .ddl fix for Fallout: NV and I can now run it 40-50 FPS on high settings no problem.

Back