Inconsistent Wireless ISP

Status
Not open for further replies.
First my connection is wireless 1.5 up/1.5down. My internet is local provider. I live in an area where I cant get wired internet. I game on the xbox live. My connection is very inconsistent one night I play with no lag what so ever and the following night I will lag so bad I cannot even play. What could be the reason for this inconsistancy? Are there any wireless isps that could give me a good connection? Also with the speed i listed above should I be able to play generally without lag? Hope you can help me gain knowledge of my connections.
Thank You, zCrEaTiVEz

Gaming over wireless is almost fruitless -- I'm amazed you get very far at all.
Your symptoms are typical of the issues/problems of this connection and gaming.

Even with a commercially advertised wireless connection such as Hughes Net you would expect problems with a wired ISP ?
hmm; sentence contradicts itself. HOWEVER, I would expect good results from a wired connection.
But let's be clear; the subject is much like the issue of 'a chain is only as strong as its weakest link'.

Case-1: a wired (cable or adsl) connection from the ISP -> your modem -- optional router -- wired to a PC

Case-2 a wired (cable or adsl) connection from the ISP -> your modem with wireless connection to a PC

Case-3 wireless satellite connection from the ISP -> optional router -- wired to a PC

Case-4 wireless satellite connection from the ISP -> optional router -- wireless to a PC

A gaming system PC will work well in CASE-1. Each of the other cases (2,3,4) will have less and less thruput and thus less and less satisfactory results

Well we have Quest phone service that is wired. Do you think it would be possible to get internet from them through those land lines?

I'm sure that Quest offers ADSL Service (ie wired phone connections) :)

I never even thought of it until just now i didn't know we had a wired phone service that i could also get internet through simply because I live 5 miles out of town.

Call and ask; I had to wait for Cable access as I live 7.5 miles from the 'telco switch',
which was too far (for verizon at that time; FiOS is now available).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back