Incorrect Autoconfig IPv4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having issues connecting to the internet. I'm on windows vista and my computer can't find the right IP address to connect with, while other computers on the network can.

So I've tried deleting my eternet card and reinstalling it, ipconfic/release and renew (both of which said the didn't work because the file wasn't found).Everytime I boot up it says unidentified network and gives me a bogus IP address.

Any help you can give me is appreciated, thanks.

Are you connecting to a router? and wireless or wired.

Can you tell me the exact message you get from when you try ipconfig /renew and release please.
Also, are you able to do ipconfig without any error message? If so do that and tell us what this bogus ip address is.

Yes, I am connected to a DLink wired router. I also forgot to mention that I can't open the router address at 192.168.0.1 to change the settings.

The error message for both release/renew is: "An error occurred while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 : The system cannot find the file specified."

Lastly the autoconfig IP address I'm getting is 169.254.179.9

I hope this helps figure it out.

Hi Brody,
The 169.254.179.9 address is saying that you cant get an ip from the dhcp.
If the other computers you mentioned get one fine the problem must be else where.
Try giving your computer a static IP, also remember to fill in the dns addresses aswell and see if that works.

As for that message, i've never seen it before, so give me some chance to read up on that or hopefully someone else a bit more advanced can help.
From reading it though where it says loopback it does makes me think a few things. Can you ping 127.0.0.1 ?
Let me try find some infomation on that message.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Ok i've had a bit of a seach around. I'm still not exactly sure what this message means, but i have a few things that you can try.

1) If you have another network card in the computer try connecting with that one.
2) Ping 127.0.0.1 - Does it succeed? If no im fairly sure it's a problem with the network card, i.e the driver.
3) Try a static ip address. Go network connections (Once there right click and properties on the one your using) - go to 'Internet protocol (TCP/IP)' and click properties - use the following address.
And then fill it out. Make sure you use an ip address that hasnt been given out to another device on the network, also you should be able to find all the information that you need (DNS addresses, subnet mask etc) on your router. Can you connect to the internet now?
5) Uninstall your network card driver and then re-install it.

Let me know how that goes.

As mentioned the 169.254 is a well know special case for failure to find DHCP.
That failure is usually due to firewall blocking ports 67-68.

On Vista, there's a special case for creating a new network and you ought to start
fresh from the top -- delete the existing network

then while connected to ANY router that is working for other,
Use the Network Wizard to define another.

When you see the prompt for Public or Private, click PRIVATE and continue to the
end.

You should get a good address which can be verified using
ipconfig /all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back