Incorrect sleep function - Win 7

EXCellR8

I'm having a problem with the sleep function on my desktop; I'm not sure what's causing the specific issues. It was working fine but now when i set the computer to sleep the monitor turns off but everything else seems to stay powered. The case fans, water pump, and graphics cards still run, but the keyboard and mouse get shut down. I would assume that the other USB devices also terminate but I am not able to wake the system with the keyboard or mouse. The mouse will re-initialize and turn back on but the computer will not wake.

I haven't changed any hardware or made any significant software changes, so I can't figure out why all of a sudden it's broken. Any ideas?

Did the applicable settings in the BIOS change somehow? If so, reset them and see if they stick. Could the CMOS battery be failing?

I checked the BIOS and everything was still set correctly, but I guess I will check the battery anyways. It's lousy having to shut the computer down improperly because it doesn't wake up, and now I remember why i never use the sleep function... because something always gets messed up. Guess I will return to shutting it down every night but I was really liking the quick wake of my SSD and all that jazz. Oh well...

If the BIOS is holding it's settings, the CMOS battery is probably fine. Just curious, what is set for the wake-up events?

I was able to wake the system with both the kb and mouse, but now i am thinking it has something to do with my new UPS system... even though it's been working. I bought a new APC unit a few weeks ago but didn't install the software. I have the little battery icon on the task bar but perhaps I should create a new custom power plan? I'll try to reset the APC too.

If you temporarily bypassed the new APC unit for testing purposes by plugging the PC into an ordinary surge protector, you could see if the PC behaves as it should. If so, you've found the problem area.

Back