Indentifying sound card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Coady

Without removing the sound card physically, how, within windows, can you indentify your present sound card and driver? My helped install a dual boot system for my brother, he has 98 and XP. I didnt notice at the time, he discovered later, he had no sound when on the XP. So either we didnt install the driver for his sound card, or it is not being detected within XP. I told him to boot back into 98 and check in my computer, device drivers,,would that show him what sound card he is using in the 98, with his selected driver?
thanks,
James Coady

Take a look in device manager to see whether or not it has a problem.

If it's not listed there by name, I would suggest noting down the FCC number on the card (if it's there), connecting to the internet, and searching for it. This will tell you the name of the card, and what driver it needs

I told him to look in device manager in 98,,this is what he found for sound devices.....MPU-401 Compatible;

NABTS/FEC VBI Code;

Wave Device For Voice Modem;

VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller (WDM) Under Properties:
Manufacturer: VIA Technologies, Inc.
Hardware version: 048
Driver: VIA AC; Enhanced Audio Controller (WDM)

OR
Wave Top (TM) NABTS/CC VBI Codec
Manufacturer: WavePhore-Intel
Driver: WaveTop (TM) NABTS/CC VBI Codec

Any of these look like his sound card?(they look strange to me)
thanks,
James

edit: I just now emailed him and told him how to access device manager in WinXP, so if he checks tonight, Ill post what he finds.

VIA AC'97 is the integrated sound card.
You need to get the audio drivers from VIA. Also get the chipset drivers (hyperion they are called).

Ok,,thanks, Nodsu,,,care to take a stab at exactly what he needs? I'm posting a series of emails he has been sending me, kind of confusing to me, as I've never had an intergrated sound card before. Apparantly he decided to try the " combo audio V3.90a zip", and received the "warning message", so I think he stopped the process, He is at work now, but will probably be off at 2:00PM(CST), so hopefully someone can post something that would help him out.
thanks,
James Coady

here are the emails..:
Motherboards with VIA chipsets ...

> Since my motherboard manual says AV40/AV40R, do you think it is probably the
> AV40R as listed? It lists chipset as Apollo P4X266. Read next email.
>
> http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=17&manuf=21&schMan=Go&chipset=Apollo+KL133

This lists my chipset what lists Northbridge VT8753 and Southbridge
VT8233/8233C.
http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=14

This lists the Southbridge numbers that my chip supports, so does this
"Combo audio V3.90a. zip" seem to be the driver I need to download? If so I
wonder why when I ran "Find New Hardware" it asks if you want to search for
new drivers it said there were none or they were up to date, or is this just
normal you have to search on your own?

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=328

So can you send link to what I have to download so I don't mess something up. I thought maybe it was the ComboAudio v3.90a.zip that I needed, but is this it? And do I need something else

When I started install got this screen: The software you are istalling has not passed Windows Logo testing with WinXP, reccommend you stop install. So I stopped install, what do you think, should I go ahead?
Mike

The Windows logo testing warning is unimportant. He should have continued the install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back