Indian military computers hacked, Symantec source code leaked

Rick

Staff

Symantec insists consumer versions of Norton Antivirus are safe, but a group of hackers who call themselves the Lords of Dharmaraja claim (link may be removed at any time) to have stolen the company's proprietary source code for Norton and possibly other commercial products. Symantec has confirmed the group's claim. However, the company believes the only source code exposed was for older versions of its enterprise products, Endpoint 11.0 and Symantec Antivirus.

Despite the company's denial, hackers insist they have "up-to-date source code" for Norton's antivirus utility and will release it in the future. The only "proof" provided thus far though is an internal Symantec document dated 1999.

The hacking group claims to have also pilfered source code from over a dozen companies during its intrusion of Indian Military Intelligence computers, however, this statement cannot be corroborated. Without any evidence, such claims remain entirely unsubstantiated but it may not be unreasonable to speculate that software companies like Symantec have worked closely with military officials.

Originating from the same cyber-attack, hackers also revealed a leaked document which asserts that RIM, Apple, Nokia and other companies have created backdoors at the behest of government agencies. Ironically, the document suggests that India may have been using these backdoors to spy on American and Chinese governments.

The Indian government has denied the resulting allegations of espionage, claiming the leaked memos are forged. Despite India's fervent denial though, a subsequent U.S. investigation into the matter is under way.

Symantec reaffirmed that its Norton property is safe, but this remains an embarrassing situation for the internationally known security firm. If proprietary source code does turn up for recent consumer products, it could give hackers profound insight into defeating some of the most prolific security software titles in the world.

Permalink to story.

seriously one thing that Northon does not understand is it is in Indian culture to share information even if the job does not allow you to bring information. it is in the culture, I know i work with them..

Everyone else see an advertisement for Symantec VeriSign to the side of this article?

You would think Security firms like Symantec would be as close to unhackable as they come being that reputation is such a big part of the business.

LMFAO Symantec got screwed. Do you really think that we are being spyed on tru the backdoors RIM and apple put in out phones?

I'm glad I don't use Norton... especially not now when they might now how exactly it works

i remember i seen a norton anti virus ads not so long ago, and it was saying

"Do you have problem with virus software, is your computer slow? install norton antivirus...."

Im like what???? the answer to this is install norton anti virus, if my computer is slow the last thing i want is a norton anti virus in it lololol

Good thing they got hacked, i hate norton products, they fail horribly, i work in a apple service provider and we repair alots of PCs too and 98% of people that come to our place have anti-virus installed, some use nortons, and even with anti-virus they still get infected and when they have norton, its even worst because norton **** the computer so bad you have to format.

Anti-virus programs are so bad since they left the command-line world, if they would focus more on efficiency instead of eye-candy. They would have better softwares. But that day will never come when i can buy an update to date good anti-virus software in command-line. Oh yes i know you can use norton in a command line, but it still install the stupid front end that scan my computer and all. I dont need that crap, i want it to scan what i want, when i want, then disactivate it and let it rot somewhere on my hard drive.

Those Indian hackers they targeted I.M.I, and for what hacking Symantec?
Try next time to hack TreadMicro ZoneAlarm or better Zao Labs (kaspesky), even so India is full of IT Chinese hackers still FU"K Indian company's computers instead of helping they r just starting to show that Indian military has no chance of protecting there information defense plan nuclear codes.... ......-red4coder

There is no such letter is what times of india has heard from the government.Frankly this incident has been downplayed & no one seems interested in the issue here.

I'm assuming because the English is so bad on these posts they all came from India where written American English is totally butchered.

This crap just gives Norton haters a venue to vent. If it was 'something else' then the 'something else' haters would use it as a forum to vent.

The fact is, an American Company, who cares which one, has been violated. If it was any other country we'd never, or most likely, never even hear about it. Oh, that's right, the US still produces most of the decent software used in the free world so that makes them your number one target.

If you want to brag, try hacking one of the violent, hatred filled and people destroying countries and see what happens. Last I heard they get really upset when you screw around with them.

Back