Infected Computer -- Logs Attached

Status
Not open for further replies.

sballard

Hi,

My system was infected this morning. Computer rebooted itself overnight, and both firefox/explorer were being redirected to a generic "Insecure..." page. If I tried to navigate to any other page, the browsers would crash. Every now and then, I would get a microsoft firewall type message indicating it detected win32.brontok. I don't think it was a real windows fireall message though, as I don't have that firewall running. I ran spybot and it found/fixed some things. After that I rebooted and everything seems to be working well now. Although, startup/login seems to be taking longer. I went ahead and followed the 8 steps from this board and created the log files (attached). I would appreciate it if you could take a look and see if there is still anything on my system. I apologize in advance if I messed any of the steps along the way.

Thanks...Shawn

Hello sballard

You have two Antivirus programs running - Avast and Symantec.
Remove/uninstall from "add/remove programs" in controlpanel:
One of Your antivirus programs

Also remove Viewpoint.

Reboot, attach new hijackthis log and tell how things are running ?

Thanks. I removed Avast and Viewpoint. Rebooted and re-ran hijackthis. Updated log is attached.

Thanks!...Shawn

Great :)

Now your computer problems are solved, it is time for the clean-up procedure
You should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one.
The easiest and safest way to do this is:
Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
Select Create a restore point, and Ok it.
Next, go to Start > Run and type in cleanmgr
Select the More options tab
Choose the option to clean up system restore and OK it.

This will remove all restore points except the new one you just created.

Please download OTCleanIt
Save it to desktop.
This will remove all the tools we used to clean your computer.
Double-click OTCleanIt.exe. Click CleanUp. Say Yes to the "Begin cleanup Process?"
When asked if you want to proceed with the cleanup process, click Yes. Restart your computer when prompted.
Please note. It will NOT remove Mbam, Ccleaner and SuperAntispyware.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet, please read Tony Klein´s guide:
How did I get infected in the first place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back