Infinite loop and return error 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnbone89

Hello all, I have a friends computer that i would really like to help her fix. Heres the problem, It started when they were online and the computer crashed. What site she was on is undetermenad howver what i do know is that the computer will not load xp. It is a Dell Demension 3000 computer and after turning on it loads the splash screen then go's to a black screen with an error message saying "Sorry for the inconvenience Microsoft can not load at this time" blah blah blah right. Well it wont run in safe mode or anything. If i just let it run the count down till start, it trys to load Xp but then loops back to the splah screen and will go on and on if i let it. Sometimes the Blue screen of death comes up but vanishs just as fast as it appears. Used F2 to see if boot up order was incorrect but everything there is up to snuff. Resset to defaults did not work. Tried using my Dell tools CD to run diagnostits test (as i also own a Dell) but just says this pc does not support dell???? Finally pressed F12 got into the IDE boot drive diagnostics and it says:

Primary IDE
Drive 0: Maxtor 6Y080L0 - Fail. Return Code: 7
Drive 1: No IDE device
Secondary IDE
Drive 0: HL-DT-ST GCE-8487B-Diagnostics not supported
Drive 1: NO IDE device

What do we have here?? Any ideas on what to do next??? Thank you!!!!!!

Save the old drive, just in case you can recover any data after the new dive is set up. You can install the old drive as a slave to the new master C drive

Thank you but i guess im confused, i thought we decided that the old one is fried? If this is the case then how would it be okay to use as a slave drive? To be honest i dont know how a slave drive is used or the purpose of one. I mean i know what one is but have never had one. And if i uninstall the old one and replace with new hard drive how will i salvage data from old hard drive????

It might be better if you had a computer savvy friend to replace the hard drive for you... The old drive may be dead, but there is always a chance that some data is retrievable. There is no way to confirm if the old drive is not repairable, other than attaching it to a working system. I assure this can be done

Fixed

The hard drive must have accured some software damage when her computer crashed. When i made it a slave to a working PC, the working PC upon start-up detected it's errors and prompted me to run a CHKDSK scan on it. That did it! It replaced the missing or damage files a volla good as new. Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back