Infinite loop bsod with 6600gt

Status
Not open for further replies.

nissanman

hi all

Recently i have been having problems with my geforce 6600gt agp video card.

In games (mostly ut2k4) after a while the computer will freeze for about 30 seconds then crash with a bsod saying that my video driver was caught in an infinite loop. I am using driver version 78.05.

These drivers use to work perfectly with this card. I have been using them for months and had no problems until recently. I heard that these are the best drivers for this card. I tried reinstalling the video drivers which worked for about an hour but then it crashed again. After uninstalling the drivers i made sure every trace of the old install was gone by using driver cleaner pro so the drivers shouldn't be corrupt or conflicting with something. Ive also tried other driver versions but they had the same issues. The card does not seem to be overheating. At the time it crashed the temp measured 66 degrees.

Could this be an issue with my video card? Could it have something wrong with it? Or am i overlooking something here?

Thanks, Nissanman

If you've already tried Driver Cleaner Pro, perhaps giving Driver Sweeper a try might produce better results. It's a very similar program, but I've used it many times and I've found, on some occasions, it to work a little better than Cleaner. Have you recently patched the game or downloaded any additional content for it. Have you tried reinstalling the game? 66 degrees is a little toasty, but it shouldn't crash the card unless the thermal is starting to lose its heat dissipation. You could always reapply some thermal compound, like Arctic Silver, to the core and see what happens. If you have the fan running at stock speeds, you can download RivaTuner to adjust it during games. Usually, a game will start to lag a bit, there may be some artifacts, and then it will quit if the video card is overheating. A BSOD is usually the product of misconfigured or incompatible software (i.e. the display driver). In your case, it's the configuration.

Ok, i downloaded Driver Sweeper and used that to wipe my old 78.05 drivers clean from my computer, i am now using the 77.77 drivers but the infinite loop still occurs. EXCellR8, you stated that 66 degrees is a little toasty but it isnt. Not for a 6600gt anyway so i know the temps are fine. I also downloaded the infinite loop fix but unfortunately that did not work either. I also reapplied thermal compound.

My 6600gt has been running flawlessly in my computer until this started to happen. Which leads me to believe my video card is going bad. It is pretty old. and has overheated quite alot in the time ive had it (which i fixed by reapplying thermal compound)

So what do you guys think? Bad video card? Especially since no other driver fixes my problem and even the infinite loop fix. Ill more then likely test this card in my friends old computer and see what happens. But if it is faulty, what agp video card would you recommend? A 7600GT? I do not wish to upgrade my whole computer for the time being so a pcie video card is out of the question.

no man try to pick up an ati 3850 agp there about the best you can get in agp boards and it will give your rig new life. also you may try just downclocking your video card a little to see if it helps with temps.

OK, now something else has started to happen aswell as the infinite loop bsod.

Whenever i play a game, after a while the computer will completely lock up (sound completely goes away and everything). Then all of a sudden my screen will go into standby mode (no image on screen, light goes from green to amber). It stays like this for a while before it comes back on showing the infinite loop bsod. Sometimes the screen doesnt come back on at all.

It never use to do this, it just used to freeze then show the bsod straight away.

Temps AWAYS stay at acceptable levels (64 degrees under load, nice and cool for a 6600gt). So it is definitely NOT overheating. So would it maybe be a faulty video card? Maybe even a faulty motherboard? I tried underclocking my video card back to its stock values (500/900, Currently at 560/1050) but the problem still occurs.

Edit: Maybe it could be my power supply?, ive been reading around on the internet and people have been able to link this problem to the power supply. The fact that it was working perfectly fine before it started doing this also suggests that it could be a bad power supply. Its only a cheap thermaltake generic power supply. So what do you guys think? Could the power supply be a possible culprit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back