Infinite Restart on Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrisonChen

When I installed a display driver for my GeForce 4 (for XP), I accidently set the resolution to one that my monitor does not support. It displayed nothing when windows booted up. I attempted to boot in Safe Mode, but it restarted when it finished booting and now whenever it finishes booting windows, it restarts. I tried all the options (Safe Mode, etc) and none worked. How could I resolve this problem and still keep the data on my HDD?

Press F8 when OS starts to boot (right after BIOS finishes its stuff), you will get a boot menu. One of the choices is standard VGA.

Have you tried booting the "last known good" configuration or doing a system restore?

It may also be some malicious program/virus doing it's stuff..

This is something people frown upon, but reinstalling windows might repair the problem too..

If you insert your XP CD, you will be given the option to do an "Automated System Recovery". Give that a try, it's worked for me in the past :grinthumb .

Okay

I don't have the Automaric Repair option, possible because I bought XP seperately and assembled my computer? I tried all options for F8. It is not a virus, because it was caused after I installed a driver. What files would be deleted if I reinstalled windows?

nothing will be deleted if you install over the existing installation, even the settings will be retained. Pay attention when installing, because you can also install by cleaning up the windows folder or formatting the whole partition.

Uhh

I was able to start Windows after re-installing it. However, my files were still in my folder for the previous installation and I could not access it. How would I access the contents of that private folder (for a user that no longer exists).

The plug where the keyboard plugs into also does not function. I examined it and saw that it was missing a pin (when I looked into the holes I saw pieces of metal, for one, there was none. Is it possible to get a replacement? It is part of my motherboard, an Albatron KX series.

If you don't register after 30 days you will either be forced to register, or reinstall again. This is just something that M$ has built in to prevent people from pirating their software.

No installing needed for XP, but you should turn USB keyboard support on in BIOS to avoid problems. I think you can access other users' folders when you use the Administrator account..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back