Infographic: The evolution of Wi-Fi

Julio Franco

Staff member

Did you know other names considered for "Wi-Fi" included FlankSpeed and DragonFly? Another curious fact: there are an estimated 10 billion wireless devices in use -- outnumbering the world’s population of 7 billion. D-Link has created an infographic filled with interesting facts about wireless technology. Coming from a company widely known for creating networking gear, it just seems fitting.

Among other highlights in the graph below: a wireless tech timeline, the future of Wi-Fi, and a visual breakdown of the latest WiFi standard, 802.11ac.

Permalink to story.

I don't think this is really relevant because my internet connection is 3 meg and that is the bottleneck. It may actually get slower next year if the deals run out. Where do people have inexpensive internet that benefits from this?

Every country besides America is my guess. Our internet infrastructure and ISPs suck.

What about home networking. Sending hd video or audio around the house. Would your isp speed affect a private home network?

No, your home network is completely separate from your ISP.

As stated above, the only affect your ISP gives is your internet access and associated speed, so if you have a slow speed (I.e. 3 meg) this will be the bottleneck. If you are running fibre you will likely still have a bottleneck from the ISP, it's just pretty much un-noticeable!

Back