Information on motherboards and 3.3v agp cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

davids

I was just wanting some information on why a lot of the motherboards now say that they cannot support 3.3v agp cards?

is 3.3v agp a new or old technology?

Also, I wonder if anyone could tell me: when installing a motherboard I notice that on the cases now days there is a raised metal "mound" where the motherbord screws in, and I want to know is it necessary to use the little plastic plugs that screw it to sit between the case and the board, or can the board sit straight on the raised mounds? The reason I ask is that with the new board I have, it will not line up with the backing plate if it is raised up - therefor if you put the plastic plugs in the board is too high for the backplate.

Any info on these points would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

I can answer your question about the AGP volts. Most mobos that support AGP slots only support AGP 4x/8x. The 4x cards use either 1.5v or 0.8v and 8x cards use 0.8v. AGP 1x & 2x use either 3.3v or 1.5, depending on the card. Since most mobos only support 4x and/or 8x, this would explain why you don't find any newer mobos that support 3.3v. And yes, AGP 1x & 2x are very old. AGP 8x cards, in general, are more expensive than their PCIe 16x counterparts.

Not sure about your mobo question. Maybe someone else can answer that one for ya.

If you have an atx form factor case and an atx form factor mobo they should fit without any problems!!!

What case and mobo have you got?????

The case I think is one that fits atx and micro atx.

the mobo is mocro atx, and I have now fitted it in ok, the thing I was worried about was whether it was vital to have the plastic gromets between the board and the case; I have been told by the guys at my local computer shop that this isnt necessary, as long as the metal contct points on the case are only touching the screw contact points on the board.

As for the AGP info thanks alot, that has cleared some things up.

The board spacers as they are usually known are vital. They sit the mobo in the correct position and stop it from shorting to the back plate. You should fit as many of them as there are holes that line up as they support the mobo and stop it bending too!!!!

The problem is, on this particular case, I have sat the motherboard in (directly on the raised screw points on the board, and in that position it lines up with the backing plate.

If I add the gromets, then the board is too high and it wont fit into the backing plate - that is why I have this problem.

davids said:
I was just wanting some information on why a lot of the motherboards now say that they cannot support 3.3v agp cards?

is 3.3v agp a new or old technology?

Also, I wonder if anyone could tell me: when installing a motherboard I notice that on the cases now days there is a raised metal "mound" where the motherbord screws in, and I want to know is it necessary to use the little plastic plugs that screw it to sit between the case and the board, or can the board sit straight on the raised mounds? The reason I ask is that with the new board I have, it will not line up with the backing plate if it is raised up - therefor if you put the plastic plugs in the board is too high for the backplate.

Any info on these points would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

You have to make sure that you Motherboard is configured to work with your case.
As long as you have an ATX Board and ATX case then you should not have ay problems.

AGP is being phased out in support of PCI-E (PCI-express).

Plastic standoffs are preferrable to metal standoffs, if you use metal, ensure you have cardboard washers. Some motherboards require metal for grounding purposes. I generally use metal as they are more sturdy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back