Insert CD-R, Instant Restart!

By fishingidiot
Mar 2, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recently, i have found that my computer restarts when i insert a CD-R into my TDK 52 speed burner. This just recently came about, and I don't know how to fix it! I need some music CD's! :confused:
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

What is ON those CD-Rs? Are they bootable CDs? Maybe you can switch off the 'autorun' function?
  3. fishingidiot

fishingidiot Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 16

Blank!

These CD-Rs are just blank ones right off of the spindle. What else should i check? Do you need any system specs?
    Thx, LC
  4. knuckleball

knuckleball Newcomer, in training Posts: 88

try uninstalling your ide drivers from device manager, then rebooting. it should find automatically your ide drivers and your cd/dvd drives again from default.
  5. fishingidiot

worse!

I went into device manager and uninstalled the driver. I restarted my computer and when i got to the point where i log onto my computer, it works for about 5 seconds, and then restarts. I disabled it in BIOS, that didnt work. My computer only works now if the drive is not hooked up to the motherboard. Anything else? :hotbounce
    -LC
  6. knuckleball

what driver did you uninstall. the driver for the drive itself or the ide channel driver. if you uninstall the ide drivers, reboot windows will normally automatically see them and reinstall.
  7. fishingidiot

Burner Driver

I clicked on the "CD/DVD driver" tab, and then right clicked my burner, and clicked "Uninstall driver." I just uninstalled the driver for the CD drive.
  8. knuckleball

cd drives are controlled by the ide connections. in device manager there is a setting ide/atapi/etc. those are the drivers i was talking about. you may try disconnecting your cd drive, booting, uninstalling ide channels, rebooting. they "should" reinstall automatically via windows. then try hooking back up your cd drive.
  9. fishingidiot

Which one?

I take it i should be uninstalling my secondary IDE driver, right?
  10. knuckleball

i had a similar issue and i uninstalled all 3 listings in there. when i got them reinstalled, they were listed different and my issues were gone.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.