Insert PCI card in old PC and kills it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys and dolls, here goes

Old PC of a friend, all I was trying to do was add a PCI Wireless Network Card. Put it in and rebooted, power light stays on and Hard disk light too, but no display and just hangs will not boot, removed memory and battery, pc comes back alive after replacing battery and memory of course, tried with another pci card as curious and does same, any suggestions why this si happening, should I give up.

Any help appreciated.
Nige

Thanks for that, it has a ultra switching ps-230wre. There nothing really there except for cd drive, floopy, hard drive, surely it shoud cope with a pci card?

If I disconnect the floopy, cd, would you expect it too boot with the pci card in there place.

it has failed with a 56k pci card with the cd and floppy disconnected.

how can i tell if it has v1.0 pci slot. wud you expect a 56k modem card to work with say v1.1?

Nige said:
it has failed with a 56k pci card with the cd and floppy disconnected.

how can i tell if it has v1.0 pci slot. wud you expect a 56k modem card to work with say v1.1?

Check your mobo's manual. It should say if you have V1.0 PCI slots.

BTW, a standard wireless NIC, shouldn't be a problem for a PSU ;)

Might be getting somewhere now, seems to be i had it in pci3 and now its in pci 1 it booted, will update post later.

thx everyone

Nige said:
Might be getting somewhere now, seems to be i had it in pci3 and now its in pci 1 it booted, will update post later.

thx everyone

It's not uncommon to have problems with the 3rd PCI slot in old boards. I can't say I've ever seen a PCI card in the 3rd slot completely disable a system though. :)

Thanks to all that replied, it seems okay now, well better now in pci1, managing to boot most of the time, ocassional freeze or boot failure, possibly faulty power supply. will see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back