TechSpot

Insert system disk error

By pkroks
Nov 27, 2005
  1. I have a wierd problem.

When I boot up, i get the error msg that says something like:
    System disk error. Insert system disk and press any key to continue.

My hdds are both working. I did a funny test on em and they seem fine. It always gives me that error. the only way i can bypass it, is to insert a CD/DVD into my DVD-RW. It will read the disk and continue to load windows. If i don't have a disk in there, it gives me the error. I have tried changing CMOS to boot automatically from the HDD first, then the CD Rom second. still same problem. I have tried formatting and reinstalling windows = same problem. I have tried to do a repair console and fixboot = same problem after writing a new boot index.

My boot.ini file looks like:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

what should i do to get rid of the msg?

2. patio

patio TS Maniac Posts: 700

It appears from your boot.ini that there is more than 1 instance of your OS installed otherwise your Windows dir wouldn't be labeled Windows.0...
    I would try hooking that drive up as a slave and retrieving and backing up any important data and start over.

patio. :cool:

3. pkroks

pkroks TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 376

nope there is only one. see i was gonna use XP Pro. But the install buggad. So i just installed home again. then when i booted i erased all traces of the XP Pro. I could just format again i guess. just all the time to install all the drivers etc...

4. pkroks

k well heres what i have done, from the beginning:

1. formatted > installed XP Home > same problem
    2. recovery console > fixboot > exit > same problem
    3. recovery console > fixmbr > exit > same problem
    4. XP Home Setup > deleted partitions > formatted (again, using long option, not quick) using NTFS > installed windows > restarted without CD > same problem
    5. Restarted with CD > downloaded new firmware for my DVD-RW drive (from v1.04 to v3.06) > installed > power down > power on after 30secs or so > same problem
    6. restarted > recovery console > mkdiskraw 0 (deleted all mbr information etc) > installed windows XP Home SP2 > restarted without CD > same problem
    7. restarted > recovery console > mkdiskraw 0 > then mkdiskraw 1 (yes i did it on both my harddrives) > installed XP on the first harddrive (0) > restarted without CD > same problem

and now i don't know what to do... any ideas? note that each time i get the same problem. it will give me the error of Disk Boot error. Please insert system disk and press any key to continue.
    if i put any CD into the DVD-RW drive it will boot up properly.
    I am at the point where i think i sould chuck my DVD-RW drive..

any ideas?

5. patio

The best way to check this would be from a clean install power down and unplug both the power cable and the IDE cable from the burner and re-boot....if it boots properly than it's possible you have buggered that DVD drive with an incorrect firmware flash.

6. pkroks

forgot to post back. i fixed the problem. it was booting from the wrong drive under the bios. there was a feature/setting in the bios and under some other sub items, to choose which hdd to choose to boot first. so damn easy yet i did all that... lol

7. patio

Glad to hear you got it solved...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.