Inspiron 1501 keyboard autotypes '=' but only in certain applications

My keyboard spontaneously starts typing '=', but only in certain situations. Most programs (Word, Firefox, Excel, etc.) have no issues whatsoever, but those that do are starting to drive me nuts.

The programs where I've specifically noticed this problem include flash apps (will auto forward through some options), screensavers (will immediately quit after starting), preview options in programs like MSPaint, certain games including Lego Universe (autoforwards through options and types the '=' in the login option). The real kicker was when I realized that I cannot develop anything for the Google Android as the emulator/virtual machine will immediately start filling in the search bar with '='s with no chance to open up any apps that I'd like to test.

As you can see it's a wide variety of programs, and most are completely unrelated to each other. Any idea as to why this might be the case?

Computer: Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop
Processor: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50 1.60 GHz
Using built in touchpad and keyboard.

Note: Windows 7 was added well after I'd bought the original computer and after the factory installed Vista had spontaneously stopped working one day... The current keyboard issue did not exist for about a month or two after this fresh install, but then spontaneously appeared at some point and has been wrecking havok ever since.

Never mind. I just found out the solution. Long story short: if you're having the same issues I was-

1. Remove your battery.
2. Press the Power Button for about 4-5 seconds.
3. Wait 4-5 seconds
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 about 4-6 times.
5. Insert battery.
6. Be very happy!

Not sure why this works, but it does. Thanks go to the people here at this particular forum post... Never mind. It appears that I'm not allowed to post links. The thread was called - "Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support > typing problem with my inspiron 1501" at Tech Support Forums if you desire to find the source of this information. Hope this helps!

Back