TechSpot

Inspiron 5160 power up issue

By darmatwil
Jul 30, 2009
  1. I have a Dell Inspiron 5160. This morning it suddenly can't recognize the power adaptor. It boots from the battery, but acts as if the ac adaptor isn't there. I can get a new ac adaptor, but i was wondnering if there should be something deeper that I need to look into.

Thanks in advance.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,213   +230

It is very wise to try another AC adapter before the internal main battery dies

3. darmatwil

darmatwil TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 17

I have one on the way. I think that the spot where a cat bit the cable has alot to do with it. Never seen a cat jump so quick as that. BTW love your avitar. I am a Marvin fan as well. Thanks.

4. Tmagic650

I love my cats too. Luckily my two cats have outgrown the tendency to chew cables. My friend in Las Vegas has 4 Yorkies, and a lot of electrical taped computer cables in his office. Good luck!

5. darmatwil

Ok, this is real weird. My laptop would not recognize the adaptor at all at work today. I brought it home to test it with a similar one from my wifes old laptop. I hook it up, plug it in and it startsright up like nothing is wrong. It's charging and running fine. I am still thinking it is the adapter, but this is just weird.

6. Tmagic650

Yes, please get another AC adapter soon...

7. darmatwil

It's on the way.

8. Tmagic650

Cool, let us know what it does

9. darmatwil

I got my new adapter monday. I haven't had any issues since. Been very cautious about posting if it is fixed. Apparently the adapter was bad.

Thanks for all the help.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.