Inspiron N4010 won't turn on if trackpad is connected

Hi there!

I have a Dell Inspiron n4010, and recently my speakers stopped working. At first, it was just one of them, but later the other stopped working too. Everything in the OS seems to be right, the drivers are installed, etc... So I decided to open it so I could see if the connection on the motherboard is alright. And they were, so couldn't solve that.

Anyway, the big problem came later. When I plugged the three ribbons attached from the top panel to the motherboard (one for the powering button, another one for the keyboard, and the last one for the trackpad), and put all the screws back in, the laptop didnt boot up. So after playing around a bit to try different possibilities, I realized that is only when I connect the trackpad ribbon that the computer doesn't boot. If it's unplugged, there is no problem.

Searching for a solution I found this on another post on /vb/topic37680 (Add techspot.com at the beginning and .html at the end, cause I cannot post links).

But that works for a different model, and implies breaking a sensor, which I'd rather not doing. So I would like to know if anyone knows the solution to this, or if there is anybody out there with the same problem and had success fixing it. Thanks and regards!

You have probably shorted or damaged one or more of the ribbon cables wires. Did you release the ribbon cables properly by releasing any plastic clips, or just by pulling on them? A Windows re-install might have brought the sound back to life. An errant Windows update might have caused this loss of sound. Now you have really messed things up

When I pulled up the top part, the ribbons pulled out, they are too short. Do you suggest that I replace that ribbon? It doesn't seem to be damaged...

Was the keyboard removed before you removed the top? Usually these ribbon cables can be disconnected BEFORE removing the top cover. Removing the keyboard provides access to them... Was this true with your model?

"when I connect the trackpad ribbon that the computer doesn't boot"

The force needed to remove the top cover probably damaged the touchpad's ribbon cable. I don't know if you can buy replacement cables for this

dear Dreem,
I have same problem...I had fan problem so I open dell inspiron N4010 laptop.....now I cann't connect that ribbon cable wires going from keyboard to motherboadr....how did you fix that....can you please tell me?
Thanks

Take the laptop to someone familiar with working on laptops. It takes practice to be able to work on them successfully

dear master,
I fixed how to connect wires.....I just opened the keyboard and now I can connect ribbon wires....but laptop is not power on:((...I have connected all wires....donot know what going wrong...:((...thanks in advance

Hi, What about using a wireless mouse and a USB adapter...... and leave the connector unconnected.
Wouldn't that work?

Hi there people, didn't know there were some replies already.

Jignesh, now you have the same problem that I have. Tell me if somehow you fix it.

Mike, that would work, but of course I rather having the actual trackpad!

Tmagic, I think in this model there is no way to remove those cables without lifting a little bit the top case, releasing the clips and then you can take out the top case entirely. I'm guessing, since I didn't know that the first time that I opened it, the clips were released improperly, and that is what damaged the cable.

Now, I have noticed that the little silver connection strips on the edge of the cable, meant to communicate with the connections under the motherboard clips, are bended. I tried to straighten them up and connect the cable to the clip, but still didn't boot up. Any solution, or any idea for where to buy one of this ribbon cables?

Hello everyone.

I have exactly the same problem you have.

the point is, I always kwnew that I messed up the cable, I ordered a new one, but now that I have the new cable connected the computer still doen't turns on, I still got the power light only shining for a second and then nothing.

Please, I some one got any solution for this, write to me. to [email deleted for safety].

thanks

Back