Hi!

I have an old Acer Aspire One
A150X netbook with the following specs:
  • 1.6 Mhz Atom chip
  • 1GB RAM
  • 160 GB hdd
  • 8.9 inch screen (1024×600)
  • Windows XP
Does anyone know if it would be possible to run Windows 8 on this computer? I don't expect it to be lightning fast, I'd probably use it for internet browsing, Word, Excel, and to watch some movies...
There is also a recovery partition, would I be able to us this after a clean Windows 8 installation, if it turns out to be too slow?
Thanks.

You maybe able to but ,your systems specs are kinda outdated. You can try. If they are to old it will not install. Plus you will need to find drivers for your hardware. GoodLuck.

What is going to happen is it will install and boot fine, but when you try to launch anything you'll get a resolution too low error.

I haven't tried on the retail yet, but I know the CP and the RP had different ways to address this (or maybe it was a beta and the CP that were different). One you could edit an ini file or install a different vid driver, and the other required a registry edit. In any case, I'm sure you can make it work, but it isn't going to work nicely 'out of the box'.

You might have more joy with a Linux distro (Snow Linux or Slackware maybe?) if Windows 7 or earlier not working for you?:)

Most aspire one netbooks, if not all, are capable of running windows 7 starter (and by extention up to ultimate)

(also that netbook is 1.6ghz not mhz)

Yeah, I have an Aspire One D250 (think it is cross modeled as something else too) and it came with 7 Starter on it. I also run (dual boot) Jolicloud 1.2 on it. Runs Jolicloud fine, but battery life on a 6 cell battery in Joli is about 4 hours, in Win 7 Starter it is about 7.5.

My ex-gf had the same one and she tried to dual boot with the CP of 8 and ran into the resolution too low issue I described in my earlier post. The link in my 2nd post though tells you how to get around that. I think 8 is likely a better OS than 7 for netbooks, its just that resolution issue that most people won't attempt to overcome.

Yeah, I have an Aspire One D250 (think it is cross modeled as something else too) and it came with 7 Starter on it. I also run (dual boot) Jolicloud 1.2 on it. Runs Jolicloud fine, but battery life on a 6 cell battery in Joli is about 4 hours, in Win 7 Starter it is about 7.5.

My ex-gf had the same one and she tried to dual boot with the CP of 8 and ran into the resolution too low issue I described in my earlier post. The link in my 2nd post though tells you how to get around that. I think 8 is likely a better OS than 7 for netbooks, its just that resolution issue that most people won't attempt to overcome.
but mine came with windows xp service pack 3 got it in 2009 And got an retail version of windows vista sp1 so I tried all I can to install it so I got a new computer running core 2 duo and. Has 7 ultimate I dual booted using vbox so I thinked something I removed my hard drive of my computer and I putted it on the second slot which is the backup section of it so I go to my main hard drive and copied all of the files to the hard drive of my acer aspire one so I put my windows xp files to my broken laptop so I pasted it all windows files and putted back my hard disk back on my laptop but I go to the bios my hard disk changed to non recognized so I went to my PC and seen an article of it so it was my hard drive problem so I go to acer website and installed drivers so it worked the thing I do is update my bios

You will most likely be able to do it but whether it's worth the bother is the question. I bought a secondhand netbook, doubled the ram to 2Gb and installed an SSD. It's running 8.1 (bought as 8.0 in Microsoft's launch offer) The registry hack is needed to get the necessary resolution but it was very easy to do. While experimenting I connected the netbook to a monitor. Officially my netbook is not compatible with 8.1 but that wasn't true and I got everything working - eventually. The picture on the screen is slightly distorted but most people won't find that a problem. I think that you will be disappointed with the result if you just install W8.0 and not blown away either if you upgrade the hardware. Windows 7 Starter would be a more realistic upgrade choice.

but mine came with windows xp service pack 3 got it in 2009 And got an retail version of windows vista sp1 so I tried all I can to install it so I got a new computer running core 2 duo and. Has 7 ultimate I dual booted using vbox so I thinked something I removed my hard drive of my computer and I putted it on the second slot which is the backup section of it so I go to my main hard drive and copied all of the files to the hard drive of my acer aspire one so I put my windows xp files to my broken laptop so I pasted it all windows files and putted back my hard disk back on my laptop but I go to the bios my hard disk changed to non recognized so I went to my PC and seen an article of it so it was my hard drive problem so I go to acer website and installed drivers so it worked the thing I do is update my bios
I tried to read that, and couldn't. Lack of structure.

Back