Install Windows 8 on a new SSD from an upgrade version

By albyok
Nov 6, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi! In short, I have this problem. I upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 8 on my old hard disk, but now I bought a new shiny SSD and I want to do a fresh clean install there, because I have some problems that I think I can only resolve with a fresh installation. I thought it was simple, but... how do I do it? I don't have any ISO, because I did the installation with the program that Microsoft made me download (Upgrade assistant or something like that).
  2. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

3. albyok

albyok Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Exactly what I was searching. :)
  4. captainawesome

captainawesome TechSpot Booster Posts: 411   +42

Can you use the Win8 upgrade special offer to do a clean install if you do the linked method of burning it to an ISO? Ie, not upgrading through vista/7/xp but onto a blank HDD?
  5. albyok

I think so, because before being able to create the ISO, you have to verify your old vista/7/xp copy. I can't be 100% sure because I still didn't receive my SSD and I didn't try it. Teorically I bought an upgrade, but after knowing that I had a 7 copy of Windows, I should be able to install the new W8 wherever and however I want.
  6. captainawesome

Please let me know because I will buy the $40 upgrade only if I can install fresh - I hate upgrading.
  7. albyok

Wait... I read again your answer and maybe we meant different things. With the upgrade version you can for sure delete your old installation and do a new one (on the same hard disk). The thing I'm not sure is to install it on a new disk (the thing I wanna try). So if you just wanna reset all your data on THE SAME hard disk where you had your old Windows, yes, I can already confirm you that you can. There is even an option to do that when you have already installed Windows 8.
  8. captainawesome

Ah cool ! thanks for the update ;)
  9. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 1,704   +158

You can install the upgrade win 8 pro on a new disk, But you must first install your old OS on this new hard drive.
  10. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,428   +281

^ Are you sure that is true? For Vista and 7 you could install without a key and then 'upgrade' that installation immediately after and use your key. And, actually the 'upgrade' version of Windows 7 Pro I bought as a student will clean install with the key the first time, no need to install twice.
  11. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

Yep, with an upgraded Windows 8 serial you should be able to do a clean install of 8 without any issues assuming you have a boot-able copy of 8 on a DVD.

12. captainawesome

This is so infuriating. I bought the upgrade from win vista 32 bit. Now I cannot get hold of a 64bit ISO to install 64bit Win 8

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.