Install Windows 8 on a new SSD from an upgrade version

Hi! In short, I have this problem. I upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 8 on my old hard disk, but now I bought a new shiny SSD and I want to do a fresh clean install there, because I have some problems that I think I can only resolve with a fresh installation. I thought it was simple, but... how do I do it? I don't have any ISO, because I did the installation with the program that Microsoft made me download (Upgrade assistant or something like that).

Can you use the Win8 upgrade special offer to do a clean install if you do the linked method of burning it to an ISO? Ie, not upgrading through vista/7/xp but onto a blank HDD?

Can you use the Win8 upgrade special offer to do a clean install if you do the linked method of burning it to an ISO? Ie, not upgrading through vista/7/xp but onto a blank HDD?

I think so, because before being able to create the ISO, you have to verify your old vista/7/xp copy. I can't be 100% sure because I still didn't receive my SSD and I didn't try it. Teorically I bought an upgrade, but after knowing that I had a 7 copy of Windows, I should be able to install the new W8 wherever and however I want.

Please let me know because I will buy the $40 upgrade only if I can install fresh - I hate upgrading.

Wait... I read again your answer and maybe we meant different things. With the upgrade version you can for sure delete your old installation and do a new one (on the same hard disk). The thing I'm not sure is to install it on a new disk (the thing I wanna try). So if you just wanna reset all your data on THE SAME hard disk where you had your old Windows, yes, I can already confirm you that you can. There is even an option to do that when you have already installed Windows 8.

Wait... I read again your answer and maybe we meant different things. With the upgrade version you can for sure delete your old installation and do a new one (on the same hard disk). The thing I'm not sure is to install it on a new disk (the thing I wanna try). So if you just wanna reset all your data on THE SAME hard disk where you had your old Windows, yes, I can already confirm you that you can. There is even an option to do that when you have already installed Windows 8.

You can install the upgrade win 8 pro on a new disk, But you must first install your old OS on this new hard drive.

^ Are you sure that is true? For Vista and 7 you could install without a key and then 'upgrade' that installation immediately after and use your key. And, actually the 'upgrade' version of Windows 7 Pro I bought as a student will clean install with the key the first time, no need to install twice.

Yep, with an upgraded Windows 8 serial you should be able to do a clean install of 8 without any issues assuming you have a boot-able copy of 8 on a DVD.

This is so infuriating. I bought the upgrade from win vista 32 bit. Now I cannot get hold of a 64bit ISO to install 64bit Win 8

Back