Install XP from hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I want to format (re-install XP) my laptop, BUT the laptop DOESN'T have any cd/dvd drive, floppy drive and it CAN'T boot from usb sticks or stuff like that :mad:.
I have the windows cd that came with the laptop and a hard disk enclosure.. :haha:

So in that regard I want to know if it's possible to do the following: :confused:

Remove the hard disk from the laptop which needs be to formatted
Place the hard disk into the enclosure and plug into another computer with a cd/dvd drive
Copy the content of the XP cd to the harddisk (the one in the enclosure)
Plug the hard disk back in the laptop and run the XP setup from it?

Probably not, if the other possibilities are not options... such as booting from a USB.
Is it within your budget to buy a new hard drive for the install, and keep your current drive in the inclosure to migrate all files and folders you need?
What size is your current drive? I assume it is a PATA-EIDE drive.
It is actually possible to do what you want, but not if you have to ask the question. You have a lot to learn. If you can spend some real time to learn how from reading and from experimentation with various setups, you will get there... and you will be significantly better at running your computer. You are looking at a lot of time... My guess is the learning curve will be 40 to 60 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back