Installation Issues for X-Fi Titanium

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've recently had to reinstall windows xp on my dell as there was an unrepairable error with the xp operating system that could only be fixed by a fresh install and cleaning the entire hard drive. I installed windows without a problem and all the onboard drivers for the motherboard, however when i came to install my X-Fi Soundcard i haven't encountered several errors and i just can't find anyway of fixing the problem. The strange thing is before i reinstalled windows i had this soundcard working perfectly for over a year.

First of all when i was installing the software/drivers from the cd onto the hard drive, the installation froze at 4% at updating windows system files. So i had to close the installation and remove the parts that it did put on the hard drive using a registry cleaner. I then tried another install and this time i did it in safe mode which in this case allowed everything to install without any crash and finished the installation and asked me to restart. When i restarted the control panel icon was in the bottom right but there was no sound. When i double clicked it, it stated there was no audio device present. How was this possible when i had got my soundcard in my pci express port? And before this question is asked, no i don't have my onboard sound enabled and the drivers for it were uninstalled. When i went onto the sound devices window it had the X-Fi soundblaster logo under the sound device however when i clikced onto its properties there was no way of changing the system volume, it only had options for inputs volumes and levels and i don't think even these were working correctly. Under the codecs tab in sound, the X-Fi driver was present.

The thing that confuses me about this whole situation is that before i reinstalled windows, i had this soundcard working for over a year. Why has it stopped working now. A hardware error, but it was working literally a few days ago just before i had the windows blue screen error ( which i believe is completely unrelated to the soundcard). Or is this a software issue? Is there some missing files that i need on my machine before i install this soundcard?

This problem is really driving me insane, if you can help me out, you'd be doing me a big favour! If you need anymore information on this situation i can tell you more.

Please help me!!!!!! i want to listen to my music again!

Did you install Service Pack 2 (or 3 :p)

Did you try installing all the other drivers first?

I'm pretty sure when i reinstalled windows, it updated everything to service package 3. I can revert it back to 2 though if that will help? one of my mates did tell me its probably best to go back to 2 as its more stable.

Also i did all the major motherboard,processor, graphics card drivers first and then went on to install the sound card.

I'm pretty sure when i reinstalled windows, it updated everything to service package 3. I can revert it back to 2 though if that will help? one of my mates did tell me its probably best to go back to 2 as its more stable.

Also i did all the major motherboard,processor, graphics card drivers first and then went on to install the sound card.

Try wiping everything and re-installing with Service Pack 2

(hey, second time's the charm (for me at least :p ) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back