Installation of Microsoft Windows 2005 stuck at "Installing Windows"

Hello ! My dream has always been a genius of IT, but guess I lack talent. Thank you in advance.

i am trying to install Microsoft Windows 2005 on my PC (Dell inspiron e1705) after i got some trojans and spyware that unable my internet connection and files.

so, for some reason the cd i have gets stuck after different screens, precisely: in the screen where it says "installing windows" in red/orange and "setup will complete in approximately 39 minutes".

i am not sure why this happens... i wonder if this is because:

1. the cd is bad,
2. or if the keychain i provided is wrong (someone wrote like 3 different ones in the same envelope where i had the original cd),
3. or perhaps that I should just run a complete wiped and new installation of the program

In addition, first time i tried the installation, i wrongly installed and earlier version of microsoft windows from my other old dell computer, therefore, i am trying to install the 2005 on top of the old one, would it be a problem?

Kind regards!

Monica

Don't know what is windows 2005 ? It is either XP or Vista at that date, but indeed, a CD can go bad after 6-7 years if it is not kept protected in a sleeve, in a cool place. A failure to read would often show the symptoms you describe, but it could also be your HDD.

Check to see if the CD media has any scratches that would be considered deep. If there are none, then the most logical problem would be faulty bad sectors on your hard drive. Try formatting the partition and re-installing as a clean installation.

As Chino has pointed out its the
a) the cd is scratchy
b) bad sectors on drive
OR
you Inspiron is overheating - does the base get hot to touch?

Back