Installed new CPU cooler and computer will not stay on

I just bought a new cpu cooler to replace the stock intel one that came with the cpu and I installed it and turned the computer on and the screen comes on and it beeps normally then gets to the startup screen where it starts to check for hard drives and then it shuts off. I turned it back on and it shut off even sooner, I waited a little bit and then turned it on and watched the screen and it gave me the message that it was going into safe mode and i have to reset my cpu and memory settings in cmos. I also made sure that the cpu overheat light did not come on.

motherboard: EVGA nForce 790i Ultra SLI Socket 775 Motherboard
new cooler installed: ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler

i did have to remove the mobo to install the cooler so i could install the back plate under the mobo.

It's either no seated properly or the fan isn't running and the bios is shutting down the PC. That's my guess.

well if you look up the cooler it its only mounted by one bar going across the heatsink that gets screwed in and i can turn it a little bit but the computer wont stay on long enough for me to get to my bios settings

oh and the fan is running fine

heatsink pad

sum times the heat sink pad gets left behind or parts of it, then the new sink doesn't make complete contact wit CPU.

I cleaned my CPU with WD40 put on sum arctic silver heat sink compound and was off to the races. You only need a thin layer.

Isopropyl Alcohol

Isopropyl Alcohol can dissolve some plastics, and you don't want that.

I Spray WD40 on a rag and wipe the CPU with it. You don't want to hose the board with it. Then you get dust sticking to it before it evaporates. .

Isopropyl Alcohol can dissolve some plastics, and you don't want that.

I Spray WD40 on a rag and wipe the CPU with it. You don't want to hose the board with it. Then you get dust sticking to it before it evaporates. .

WD40 doesn't evaporate though. Its a greasing agent, which is precisely why it clings to every dust particle in sight.

Isopropyl is the stuff to use - just use it sparingly, and I tend to drip some of the end of a cleaning cloth and use it on the end of my finger to clean the CPU.

As long as you use a minute amount of it, your fine.

If your worried, use the special CPU heatsink cleaners you can purchase, they'll work just as well as Isopropyl.

sum times the heat sink pad gets left behind or parts of it, then the new sink doesn't make complete contact wit CPU.

I cleaned my CPU with WD40 put on sum arctic silver heat sink compound and was off to the races. You only need a thin layer.
OK, listen. It is the policy of this forum to "do no harm", the same as it is in the medical profession. That said, please don't post nonsense. WD-40, is a solvent/lubricant blend that you should be using on your car doors or rusted bolts, not inside a computer case.

Isopropyl alcohol is very low solvency with respect to modern plastic components, particularly high temperature compounds such as might be found on a computer motherboard.

With THAT said, the CPU heat spreader is made of metal, no plastic anyway.

So, if you're pouring rubbing alcohol all over the board, while trying to clean the CPU heat spreader, you have no business with your hands in the machine in the first place.

As Leeky pointed out, ther is a special cleaner for CPUs; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...10&cm_re=arctic_silver-_-35-100-010-_-Product Is it better than alcohol? I don't know, but I use it anyway. It makes me feel good about myself, and confident in a successful outcome.

What do you think of that stuff mate?

I've been contemplating purchasing it for a little while now. :)

Massaging My Obsessive Compulsive Side.......

As I said, it makes me feel good about myself, using a product that was designed for the task at hand. You got your little "part "A" and rub, then you whip out your little, "part "B" and rub some more, great fun.

Everybody tells me that rubbing alcohol is just as good. But I say NO, alcohol doesn't make my CPU smell, "lemony fresh and clean", the way that the Arctic Silver kit does! I'm stinkin' to my guns on this one.

Beside, over here it's only 8 bucks. (I grabbed it when it was still 6), and it'll do about a gazzilion CPUs. (Well, not a gazillion, but a lot).

In truth it probably isn't necessary, but I like it a bunch. I also use a nut driver on case standoffs, and an anti-static wristband. So, as we've discussed, I suppose some would say those behaviours are, "eccentric". (I left the "U" in behavior in your honor).

You wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off..... Pmsl.

Its fragranced lemon fresh?? LOL. :D

I'm sure the alcohol does the job, but the bit that got my attention a while a go now was the polish type stuff you use in stage 2 of the cleaning process.

You strike me more as cautious, than accentric. I use a self dissipating wrist band, as I can't stand being "wired" to something earthed.

Thanks for the English (British) wording. ;) lol.

I either use a cotton bud (soaked in Isopropyl Alcohol) if the cpu is still in the socket, or a tissue with it on if I have remove the cpu.
Buy it cheap from any hardware store, does a great job, imo.

Well, over here actually isopropyl alcohol comes in plastic containers- so i don't know what with the post that it "melts plastic". Acetone will also do. I have used both many, many times. Acetone requires just a rub or two, while isopropyl alcohol requires a few more rubs- so acetone is perhaps "more abrasive". Just stick to what is readily available amongst these and you'll be safe... oh, and with captaincranky's linked product, that'll also do of course- just not available here though...

That wouldn't be eccentric of you, captaincranky- i also use use gun oil for cleaning my sidearm, just because i have this oil, too... [Even though singer oil or WD40, for that matter, would do]... Might as well use the "for specific use only" sort of thingy, whenever they're available.

Back