Installed new Video Card and PC turns off after 5 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I got myself a video card <ASUS GeForce 6600, (256 MB) AGP>.
I pluged it in. When I turn the PC on, the monitor is in standby (orange led), all fans start, I can't hear any beeps and after 5 seconds it suddenly turns off.

My system is:

ASUS P4V8X-X (motherboard)
Intel pentium 4 @ 2.4 GHZ
3 x 512 DDR
DVD-RW
160GB HDD
ASUS GeForce 6600
Floppy
2 fans (one on the CPU and a smaller one)

My first guess was that my 450W (no name) PSU couldn't handle it.

But then I tried the videocard on another PC with a 350W PSU and it worked like a charm.
When I put the card and the PSU (the 350W one) on my system, it turns off again.

What I tried so far:
- update bios
- reset bios (+load defaults)
- unpluged everything except videocard and HDD.

My system works perfectly without the videocard.
When I put the videocard in it turns off.

Could anyone help me?

Does the 6600 need a power cable connected to it from the power supply? If so, have you connected it?

I'm getting the idea that this board has onboard graphics. What is the BIOS setting with respect to enabling/disabling the onboard graphics?

Granted that that card might have a terminal for a direct power connection, but I'm not certain that it needs to be used, try the machine without it.

The motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics. Only onboard sound.

Since the PC won't start with the ASUS videocard, I can only start it with my older card. Should I disable from Device Manager the older card, install the drivers for the ASUS card, turn off PC, plug in the ASUS card and start ? Could having the drivers already installed (even if the card isn't pluged in at the time) help somehow?

I tried without the power plug and it beeeeeped. A long beep. So that clearly won't work.

Also, I tried a new stronger PSU and it does the same. So the PSU is not the problem.

Could it be some settings from BIOS?

Have you tried booting into safe mode, then selecting the VGA option? At boot hit F8,F8, etc.(sorry if you already knew that).

As to drivers, I think I'd get them from Nvidia, and wait till I managed to get some kind of display.

It should be possible to remove the Radeon drivers. If the card is going to work, the PC will revert to VGA mode with no video driver installed.

And no, I think you have it backwards. Install the card, then install the drivers. As I said, with no drivers installed, if the video card is detected at all, the PC will revert to VGA. If it didn't you'd never be able to light the screen. With the Radeon driver removed, the ATI card will revert to VGA mode also.

No, it's probably not a BIOS setting. Usually on a board with onboard graphics there is an either/or/and option for the built in video.

Did you attermpt at updating the BIOS register as a success?

Booting into safe mode is not possible since it cannot boot at all. I have no display (the monitor is in stand**) and whatever I do the PC turns off after 5 seconds.
But I tried it nevertheless, and it did not work.

Yes, I know I have it backwards. I just tought it might help. I'm kinda desperate and out of options :D

I updated the BIOS succesfully. Also reseted it using the jumpers. Also removed the battery. No results.

I have some updates:

It seems that AGP8x videocards don't work. I tried both the 6600 and another FX5700. They both work on another PC. But on mine, it's the same problem.

Then I tried two AGP4x videocards and they work like a charm. The PC boots normally and everything is fine.

So, what could be the problem? Why is it, that cards on AGP8x don't work anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back