Installed Ubuntu now boot log-in gone

Ok, so I had some problems with my windows install. My computer was idling on like I usually have it when I got hit with a BSOD. Something about atapi.exe failed. Atapi is either my sound card or graphics card. So I restart thinking it was just a glitch then It hits me again with the BSOD. Oh no.

So I did something rash. I decided to install ubuntu. Not sure what I did. I selected install alongside on the partition I don't think I wrote ever anything, but when I press F8 with the log-on no other options come up. Did I accidentally delete my windows install? Please tell me it's just hiding.

yes.

Any idea of what might have happened? I guess it's obvious I messed up somewhere in the installation process, probably the partition part

You either deleted your windows partition, or you need to fix your boot loader.

Try to use the repair function of the windows disk to see if you can get back into windows.

This is a good article to check out.

I used the windows CD to try that, but it wouldn't let me repair it. I went into the partition and there was no option to repair. I guess it looks like I did, in fact, delete it.

I doubt there's anything I can do at this point?

Oh well, it's not all bad news, I do like Ubuntu better than windows, the graphics run a lot smoother. It just means now I can't play games on candystand.com

Its possible, take a look at the forums at some linux topics (or go to a linux forum) and see if you can ask anyone who is knowledgeable for assistance. There may be other solutions, my knowledge of linux is probably on par with yours.

I doubt there's anything I can do at this point?

Oh well, it's not all bad news, I do like Ubuntu better than windows, the graphics run a lot smoother. It just means now I can't play games on candystand.com
You should be able to play those games, just install flash player.

What I'm missing here is, didn't you install "GRUB", (the Linux bootloader)?

This gives you Windows as a second OS option, and Ubuntu as the default. (GRUB gives you 30 seconds to pick which OS you want, then loads the Linux).

As the Linux install progressed, you should have been given the option to create a separate partition for the install. For the next time, defrag your drive, then do the install, creating the Linux partition. (you'll have better luck at not loosing data ,if the HDD is thoroughly defragged, before creating the partition. Better luck still, if the drive is closer to empty, than to full.

The last resort here, is to copy all your data files with Linux,(Ubuntu will read and write NTFS), close your eyes, stifle your tears, and slap the Windows CD into the drive.

Gosh, I don't believe I responded to this. Just goes to show how little traffic there is in this part of the forum.

On the one hand, i don't use Linux much nor ever tried setting up Linux on a multi-boot machine... but on the other hand, i HAVE used Neosmart EasyBCD to help setup, manage and sometimes fix multi-boot Windows installations. And their product page states..
Setting up and configuring a dual-boot between Windows 7, Windows Vista, older versions of Windows such as XP & 2003, Linux, Ubuntu, BSD, and Mac OS X is a breeze. You just point & click and EasyBCD does the rest.

I'll add: I've only needed to use EasyBCD a few times to help/fix Windows multi-boots but i found it helpful and straightforward to use each time. So, you might also find it helpful for this Linux/Windows boot problem.. idk.. just a guess

Back