Installing a vid card, procedure? (Geforce4 MX-440)

Status
Not open for further replies.

david5182

Upgrading Video Card-HELP

I just bought MSI Geforce4Mx 440 to upgrade from my integrated Intel video card. I have a Compaq Presario P3 700MHz, 256MB Ram and WIN 98SE. Could anyone tell me how to do the upgrade.
Do I go into BIOS first and disable the integrated card, or do I first insert my new card and then turn on the pc. Also when do I have to install the drivers for the new card. Thanks for any help!!!

Welcome to 3dspotlight forums... ;)

For information about the procedure that you should follow to install your new graphics card check out this thread from the old 3ds forum about this exact problem.

Originally posted by Phantasm66:

Power on the machine with monitor connected to onboard graphics. Go into BIOS. Set it to use PCI or AGP graphics card in favour of onboard graphics. Perhaps there are jumpers on your board to disable this as well. Power off. Then fit the card. Then power on.

Is there also no supporting information that came with the card?

Re: Upgrading Video Card-HELP

First, uninstall all video drivers...
Then install standard VGA drivers...

Restart machine, and disable onboard graphics.
Shut off machine.
Take off cover, and put in the new card..
Put on cover.
Start machine again..
Let it boot to windows, and install the drivers for the new card...

If you experience any problems after disableing the onboard graphics (no pic on boot with new card), clear the cmos (you'll find info about this in the motherboard manual) you should then get a picture..

Hope this helps, or ask back for more detail :)

How do I uninstall all video drivers...
and install standard VGA drivers...

(what are the standard VGA drivers?)

Originally posted by david5182
Ijust bought MSI Geforce4Mx 440...anyone tell me how to....
Other than the good advice given concerning the Bios, I'm sure install directions came w/ this card. As for the rest of the procedure, check to see if it requires changing your display adapter to " standard vga" before the install

Standard VGA drivers allows any video card to function, and allows 16 colours and 640 x 480 resolution. Be sure you've downloaded the latest detonator drivers at http://www.nvidia.com first.

1) Slot in your GeForce MX440

2) Set your computer to boot using AGP graphics through the BIOS (There's an option for PCI or AGP, choose AGP)

3) Disable OnBoard Graphics. This option can be found in your BIOS.

4) When you first get into windows, your screen looks untidy, because of resolution at 640 x 480 and 16 colours. You may even be prompt to locate your device driver. Cancel everything, and run the detonator drivers setup. After restarting your computer everything will work fine. Just go back to your display properties and set your preference for Direct3D and OpenGL. There, all's done. For better performance I suggest you change your refresh rate to "Adapter Default."

**Just a thought... Compaq BIOS are different from AMI and Award BIOS right? There are fewer options if I didn't remember wrongly... and it's not very customisable...

Didn't the card come with an installation cd?

Just plug the card in and insert the installation cd.
If its more complicated than that, check the instructions..

I shouldn't think that you need to fiddle with the BIOS settings..

Re: Didn't the card come with an installation cd?

Originally posted by hdmk
Just plug the card in and insert the installation cd.
If its more complicated than that, check the instructions..

I shouldn't think that you need to fiddle with the BIOS settings..

If he is running a system with onboard graphics then he will need to set values in the BIOS to inform the system that AGP is the primary graphics port.

Nvidia 2D and 3D tutorials of how to install a video card

Originally posted by david5182
How do I uninstall all video drivers...
and install standard VGA drivers...

(what are the standard VGA drivers?)

Right click on My Computer, and select properties...
From there go into the device manager (or whatever that lists your current hardware....)

Choose your display adaptor (shouldn't be to hard to find, just expand the video card option)
Right click and choose uninstall.
Close.

If the computer prompts you to restart, do it and ignore the following instructions....

Go to control panel.
Choose add new hardware.
Choose from list
Choose videocards
Choose standard VGA adaptor (should be the first available, if not go down to Microsoft (in the left panel), click on it, and choose standard VGA adaptor from the right panel)
Choose install.
Restart computer...

Then just install the card as instructed in previous posts...

Hope this helps :)

To disable it you may also have to move a jumper on the board itself. If your manual doesn't say, look in the case and you may get lucky and find a jumper with "Video" or something next to it with the value to set.

Good Luck

1.If he removes the existing drivers and reboots it will automatically change to a "Standard PCI VGA Adapter".
2.He can then power off, and install the new card.
3.If it is onboard graphics they may need disabling in the BIOS, although if it is a fairly new board, they will auto-shutoff.
4.Install any driver CD that comes with the card - as they are more likely to work (in my experience)
5.Run 3DMark or UT or Q3A for a while, to ensure there are no random crashes/lock-ups/slowdowns.
6.Download the latest drivers if necessary.

** If removing NVIDIA drivers use Detonator Destroyer from http://www.guru3d.com

Originally posted by Th3M1ghtyD8
1.If he removes the existing drivers and reboots it will automatically change to a "Standard PCI VGA Adapter".
2.He can then power off, and install the new card.
3.If it is onboard graphics they may need disabling in the BIOS, although if it is a fairly new board, they will auto-shutoff.
4.Install any driver CD that comes with the card - as they are more likely to work (in my experience)
5.Run 3DMark or UT or Q3A for a while, to ensure there are no random crashes/lock-ups/slowdowns.
6.Download the latest drivers if necessary.

** If removing NVIDIA drivers use Detonator Destroyer from http://www.guru3d.com

It won't change to "Standard PCI" all the time, it may detect the card and try to install drivers again. But it looks like you are on the right track. I would do exactally what you said then see if your troubles clear up. Good Luck...!!

on-board video

I have an integrated Intel 810e card. I want to switch it to GF4 MX440 AGP, But in the BIOS I have no option to disable the onboard video, I can just change the IRQ(from 5 to 11 or 3 and so on). How do I do the switch? Do I have to update my BIOS?

P.S. I have a Compaq Presario P3 700MHz and Win 98SE

Thanks for replys!!!

The system board automatically disables it if it detects a valid AGP card in the slot. All integrated components do this.

So I just put in the new card turn the pc on and put in the cd with drivers, or do i LET WINDOWS TO INSTALL SOME DRIVERS FOR MY NEW CARD AND THEN INSTALL THE DRIVERS FORM CD?

Personally I would install the drivers that came with the graphics card on the CD. Yes Windows will install a driver, but it is unlikely that it is the best performing one out there. I would get the latest one from your manufactorer.

Installed gf4 card

First of all I am sorry for multiple posts.
Now I already upgraded from my Intel on-board card to MSI Geforce4 MX440 card(I also had to change the motherboard, as my old MOBO didn't have an AGP slot.) My question now is this:
Before upgrade I had MechCommander 2 installed, and it worked fine, but as I upgraded, it is now very slow(even when the game starts(microsoft logo), it barely moves. However another game that I could not run with my old card(System Shock2), now works perfectly well. So what is going on. Should I just reinstall my Mechcommander game, or is something wrong with the drivers(I think I have 2730 drivers).
Please help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back