Installing and partitioning a new laptop drive with Windows 7

By pw2much
Dec 15, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I have a Dell Inspiron 6400/e1505 and I have windows 7 ultimate on it. The hard drive is only 60GBs in size and it only has 3GB of space left on it. I want to install a new HD 500GB in the laptop, but the old harddrive has drive C;\ and Backup (D:\) on it, I want to partition the new drive to have Drive C:\ and the rest extened space. what are the proceedures to perform this task. and please in details. (P.S.) I don't have the OS disc to re-install Win.7. What I do have is a 500GB Harddrive and a USB to Sata connection cable to connect the harddrive to the computer, a windows 7 repair disc for the system and backup discs from the old harddrive. How do I proceed? I have tried it once using the tools that I have and it copied the os and files just like the old drive but not enabling me to extend the C:\ drive.
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,759   +1,421

The easiest way would probably be a cloning software with a external HDD as a backup drive.
    1. create an image backup to the external drive
    2. switch drives in the laptop
    3. write the image backup from the external drive

I know these manufacturer's have free cloning software that can be used with their drives:
    • Western Digital
    • Seagate
    • Maxtor
    • Intel (SSD Drives)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.