TechSpot

Installing Geforce 8600gt into eMachines 1331

By wiltro
Jan 22, 2010
  1. When I plug in my 8600gt, it does not come up in the device manager. When I plug my monitor into my 8600gt it does not show anything on my screen, but when I plug my monitor into the motherboard, the screen works. If my video card is not working, how can I tell w/o plugging it into another computer? And if my video card IS working, how do I install it on my computer?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

See if you have the option to turn off the on-board video in the e Machines bios. If so, turn it off and try the new video card once more

3. wiltro

wiltro TS Rookie Topic Starter

The option is greyed out and I can't change it. It is currently marked enabled. I contacted emachines and they told me that I don't have to disable the onboard graphics card to install my other one, so I am lead to believe my 8600gt is broken. Going to go try a new card soon and if it works than I'll buy it. But if it doesn't, I'll still need help.

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

"I contacted emachines and they told me that I don't have to disable the onboard graphics card"...

I thought that this might be the case. Have you remembered to connect the power supply to the 8600 if required?

5. wiltro

wiltro TS Rookie Topic Starter

Fixed. New video card and it works

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.