TechSpot

Installing Mac OSX Leopard from an external drive issue

By osc2146
Sep 12, 2009
  1. Hello
    I have a macbook which is all messed up and currently has no operating system whatsoever. I got a Leopard.dmg installation file, but I do not have a dual layer DVD, so I decided to install it from my external USB Hard drive. I formatted it to HFS+ (the OSX file system) and extracted the .dmg onto that partition.
    When I start the Macbook with the drive plugged in and while holding the option button, it shows the external drive as "EFI Boot" and after I select it it asks to restart the computer.

So, my question is: How can I make a bootable image of leopard on my external HDD, while I'm on windows?

*Edit* I tried to run the EFI Boot thing, and i got yet another error: Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI" ...

Thank you very much.

2. FLOAT

FLOAT TS Rookie

External Hardrive for Installation

here is an option gwhiz dot wordpress dot com/2006/09/2dotdotdotpard-from-dmg/
    as you can see from the url its installing leopard from dmg, catch is you have to have 3 partitions. but my friend did it and it worked. 10.4, external usb, and partitioned the hd to make a 15gb partition to install.

3. osc2146

osc2146 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well, I actually got it to work lately :D however i did not installed vista ultimate on it instead. As soon as i managed to start from a dvd i formated the hard drive to get rid of all this mess. Now that my Macbook is running Vista pretty smoothly i think i will leave it that way..

but thanks anyway

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.