TechSpot

Installing more memory

By circusboy01
Jun 12, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I bought two 2GB Memory Ram for my Lenovo IdeaCentre K300. I'm trying to find instructions on how to install them. But all I keep running into is where to buy them. Can anybody give me some easy to follow instructions? I'm hoping it's as simple as opening up the computer looking at the 2 full slots and putting the 2 new ones in the same way. being real careful that you don't bend or break anything. Thanks
  2. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,229   +232

Don't know if this will help, but hopefully it will http://www.wikihow.com/Install-RAM
  3. circusboy01

circusboy01 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 811   +10

4. circusboy01

I was already to be so proud of myself I put the new memory in and everything seemed to go pretty good. I put the first one in and after I finally got it all lined up it seemed to drop right in..
    Now it sat a little higher the the already installed one next to it, and that kind of bothered me. But I went ahead and installed the other one. It too sat a little bit higher than the one next to it.
    So I just figured maybe they sat a little higher to make them easier grab on to with your fingers, when you want to remove them.
    Bet you can guess what comes next. First thing I did when I got my computer running was open Belarc Adviser It did not detect the new memory. Now I know they are aligned correctly, and the notches are lined up. So I guess I should have used a little more pressure when I was trying to seat them.
    That should fix the problem. Right?
    Please say right. Because I just thought that some manufacturers might make them a little wider then others, and that's why they set higher..
    Which would mean I bought bunk Ram.
  5. hood6558

hood6558 TS Booster Posts: 292   +44

Seating memory modules takes a little force, and to a novice it feels like something's going to break, so this is a very common problem. After aligning the stick in the slot (with notch aligned), press evenly and firmly down on both ends, it will make a kind of "scrunch" sound when seating because the contacts inside the slot press tightly to assure a good connection, and you should hear/feel a slight click on each end as the clamp snaps into place (sometimes to completely seat you must manually finish snapping the clamps towards the ends of the module). The height of modules can vary, but it sounds like you're not seating them, so try again until your motherboard recognizes them.
  6. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,942   +899

You might have gotten the wrong memory. They should be the same size. Use this scanner to find the best memory for your PC: http://goo.gl/0D9vr
  7. circusboy01

Thank you very much. That's just what I wanted to hear.
  8. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Addict Posts: 889   +171

If the only RAM in your computer is the new sticks then I wouldn't worry too much about beloc advisor. Because, if your computer indeed did not detect the new RAM it wouldn't have even powered on. However, that is just if you are only using the new sticks alone. It's not clear whether you purchased RAM to add to your machine or that you're replacing RAM. To test that the RAM is working correctly - I'd remove the old sticks and put only the new ones in. If the machine powers up and boots to windows at all then I wouldn't worry too much. But, you can also run a "Memtest" to be on the safe side.
  9. circusboy01

I didn't get the wrong memory. I made, extra, sure that I got it for the Lenovo Idea Centre K300, and it's not in backwards, because the notches lineup. But thanks for offering a suggestion.
  10. circusboy01

I am adding Ram. I mentioned that I was going to look at the 2 full slots and put in the new one the same way.. I'm sure hood558 is correct, and I just didn't seat them. But, after I seat them, I would like to run a "Memtest" . Will Google how. If no luck. I will be back here asking you ;0)
  11. circusboy01

Well. It doesn't look like I will be doing a "Memtest". Downloaded it and started running a test. Went about my business. I few minutes later I hear what windows plays when it first opens up. I look, and I am on the start page. I type in my password and hit enter. The computer opens up and I see a message that says Windows just recovered from an unexpected ( not sure of the last word) I think it was failure. One message is all it takes for me. Next time Windows might not recover.
    But that's okay I know my existing Ram is running okay, and I'm sure the new Ram will as soon as I get it seated properly. I just like to run tests.

12. circusboy01

hood6558: that was scary. I followed your instructions and seated the new ram, they clicked in just like you said they would. I hooked everything back up, and hit the power button. Everything came on just as it should, but I couldn't get anything on the screen, except a slight glow.Disconnected everything again, and removed the new ram. Hooked everything back up, and got the same thing . Nothing but a glow again. By this time I'm thinking that the new ram I put in messed up the system some how. Just to make sure I tried everything I took the old ram out of the slots they were originally
    in and put them in the other slots. It worked my screen came on.
    After thinking that my PC had crashed. I was happy to have my original amount of ram back. But I went ahead, and put the new ram in the slots where the old ram was. To make a long story short. ( bet you were waiting for that huh? I can be long winded) It worked and I now have twice the ram I used to have. Thanks again.
  13. hood6558

hood6558 TS Booster Posts: 292   +44

Your last post made me laugh, brought back memories - the panic attack when it won't boot, the swearing to the computer gods that if they just let it boot I'll never open the case again! The flood of relief when it finally lights up the screen.....actually, I still have those moments every now and then, like when I overclock too high and after the BSOD it can't find the boot drive. And RAM still fails to seat for me sometimes, and it takes 2 or 3 tries to get it working. Nobody really knows why this happens, but I suppose that memory modules are very sensitive to electrical resistance, and even a little dust in the slot or oxidation on the contacts can cause the problem. Last week I had the same problem with an old DDR2 module, and after lightly buffing the contacts on the module with a scotchbrite pad, it worked fine. Glad I could help, you're now practically an expert in the art of DIMM installation....
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  14. circusboy01

Yep. That's pretty much how I felt,except mine was more like a tsunami of relief.
    learninmypc likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.