Installing Network Card in Win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHATMAN5050

I have installed windows 98 probably 30 times so far, and this is the first time i have been unable to do it successfully. When i run the installation for the network card to update the driver, it says PLEASE PUT IN THE WIN98 CDROM so i do it and over and over again it tells me to put in the cdrom. What is the deal? THE DISC IS IN!!! It tells me the files its trying to find on the win98 cd and when i search on that computer it cant find them, but magically when i bring the disc to my computer it finds them fine. What the heck is going on here? Im getting sick of microsoft's problems with basic things like installing a network card. Also, everytime i restart that computer it says its missing more files...this time it listed 'vnetbios.vxd' 'vnetsup.vxd' 'vredir.vxd' and 'dfs.vxd'. Why are the files being lost now??

(*edited by mod)

try this.

boot from dos floppy.

format.

copy windows setup files to the hard drive.

install from there.

lol, reinstall windows? what do u mean when you say 'copy windows setup files to the hard drive and install from there.' How is this different then normal? What do i do differently than just installing from the cdrom?

there is a possibility (I would not put it any stronger than that) that your RAM is corrupted. Or you have a faulty drive or faulty IDE controller...

the thing is that this computer used to have win98 on it, and the only thing different is the ram. How can i tell which ram stick is faulty?

That may work, unless it has to be ran on the internet, because i can't get the network card installed so i can't get on the internet.

Take the NIC off, restart Win98 in safe mode, remove all NIC-related from Device Manager, put the NIC back. Usually PnP causes this behaviour. I don't remember how many times I've dealt with this issue but I've managed to solve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back