Installing SATA as a 2nd drive with a Master IDE drive

I am trying to install a SATA drive as a secondary drive. The computer is trying to boot with the secondary drive instead of the master IDE drive. I need to boot with the IDE so I can read the SATA drive and make file corrections. Both drive have XP operating systems installed but the SATA has a corrupt hal.dll file. The SATA is from another computer. The computer with the IDE works fine except when I install the SATA. There are jumpers on the IDE drive. Can anyone tell me whast I need to do to make the computer boot with the IDE while recognizing the SATA drive as an addition drive?

The IDE and Sata drives are on different controllers, so the jumper settings on your IDE drive shouldn't be a factor. Check your BIOS to make sure the IDE drive is ahead of the Sata unit in the Boot Priority list.

Thank you. I apologize, I could not find the location to select boot priority before. Now, I have done what you said. I removed the SATA completely from the boot priority list. It took a long time but it booted. Chkdsk ran forever, alot of fixes. It appears that the system32 folder has been deleted somehow. Now I have another probem. I do not have XP on disk. I purchased this computer used at IBM. Not sure how to recover. Guess I well search some more. Thanks for your help and again I apologize for not finding the bios boot priority screen before I posted this. take care.

No problem, good luck with the rest of your recovery. You might be able to order the original factory recovery disk, worth looking into. I've had to do it in the past for some HP office computers.

Back