TechSpot

Installing second hard drive or something like that... need help

By DarkNinja187
Mar 1, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey... totally new here. I have a question which I guess I need in laymen terms so to speak. I am thinking of buying a new 160gb hard drive. I right now have a 40gb hard drive. IDE is what I am buying since i know not too much I don't wanna mess with SATA. Anyways I would like to know what do I need to do. I want to make the new hard drive to be the master and the old one just for more storage space. What do I need to do?

Can I just install windows xp on the new hard drive and format clean the old drive and and install like games on the old one just like that or do I have to do something else?

Thanks in adavanced.
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

seen the same post somewhere else, where I could READ it at least. Green is NOT a good colour.
    And please don't post twice about the same stuff.
  3. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

Its simply a matter of:

-Change the jumper on new hard drive to master

-Change the jumper on old drive to slave.

-Attach both drives in any order on the cable.

-Plug cable into motherboard.

-Go into BIOS, there is a section (usually first) which has hard drive details. Go into it, it should detect your drive. There may be an option for that.

-Save and reboot.

-Ensure that your machine's POST output (when it detects components when it starts) lists your new drive as master, old drive as slave.

-Boot from your Windows CD (There is a boot order option in the BIOS), and follow the instructions. Part of the installation process will be to format the drive.

-Once completed, go into disk administrator (right click "My Computer", properties, disk adminstrator) right click the old drive, and select format. You can tick the box to do a quick format as well.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.