Installing SSD drive to Studio XPS 435MT

By Poke13
Sep 13, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello guys,

I would really appreciate any info on this subject if possible!

I have a Dell Studio XPS 435MT and I have seen a really good deal on a 120gb SSD drive and would like to replace my two 500gb HD's in RAID-0 setup, to hopefully speed up startup times and generally speed up the response of the PC, I also use it with Photoshop and 3D programs so I think this upgrade will help here too. I will probably just use each 500gb hard drives separately for storage or if possible set them up as RAID-0 again for storage but I guess just separately is safer.

My main question is how do I go about installing it?

I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit (Dell version). Can I just install this onto the new drive? Or do I have to uninstall from current set up first?

Thanks in advance.

Poke13
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,689   +153

Do you already have a RAID array set up? If you dismantle the RAID array you will loose all data on both drives and you will have to re-build the array fresh. The 120GB SSD can be used like any hard drive, alone or in a RAID array, but its speed would be wasted in RAID

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.